Preventing diabetic vision loss with “Sticky-traps”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Diabetes is a common disease with many detrimental effects — and vision loss due to retinopathy is only one of them. Diabetic retinopathy is a major cause of vision loss in many communities. However, researchers at the Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute believe they have found a cure for retinopathy, by creating “Sticky-traps”.

Retinopathy is the result of abnormal blood vessel growth in the eyes. When these malformed vessels burst, there is a corresponding degradation of the retina, which is termed retinopathy. There can be many factors leading to growth of abnormal blood vessels, including diabetes, hypertension, and premature birth.

Researchers at the Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto have engineered a compound they refer to as a Sticky-trap, which will inhibit the growth of these malformed blood vessels (referred to as anti-angiogenesis). This will prevent their bursting and, consequently, deter retinal damage.

http://thevarsity.ca/2014/06/04/preventing-diabetic-vision-loss-with-sticky-traps/

Sounds promising, but not keen on the idea of an injection in the eye every two months! 🙂

Last edited:
Sounds like a real breakthrough. I think I could have tolerated the injections if it could have prevented what happened to me.

Well if the alternative is losing your sight ...... you'd be willing to try anything I'd have thought.

Someone I know has had jabs in her eye, and says the thought of it is much worse than the reality. The sensation is of pressure, rather than pain according to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back