Pressurised vial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redkite

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Has anyone experienced this problem: we flew to Italy a couple of weeks ago, and I had a new insulin vial in my hand luggage. When I went to use it to fill a reservoir, it seemed to be "pressurised" - by which I mean normally I would "inject" some air into the vial before drawing out some insulin, to prevent a vacuum, but this time I couldn't - there was too much resistance against the plunger. Then after I'd drawn up the insulin and detached the reservoir from the vial, insulin was spurting out from the vial through the reservoir attachment piece. The next time I had to fill a reservoir, it seemed there was now a vacuum in the vial, and it was a struggle to draw up any insulin at all! I'm guessing it's something to do with pressure changes on the aircraft, but it sure made it tricky......

I've had exactly that once last year, only without flying, haven't flown anywhere for years.

Absolutely no idea why.

How do you overcome this? I am flying in September, forewarned is forearmed!

How do you overcome this? I am flying in September, forewarned is forearmed!
By a lot of messing about and wasting of insulin, a lovely fragrance to be doused with! Take plenty of spare insulin, reservoirs and infusions sets. I didn't have any problems with the vial that was already in use and three-quarters empty, it was the new one that caused me difficulties. So maybe if I'd used some insulin out of each vial before flying, they would have been ok. I also took one of those plastic boxes with a click-seal lid to keep some of the stuff in (not the vials), and that was definitely pressurised by the flight, as the lid was vacuum sealed and practically superglued on!

By a lot of messing about and wasting of insulin, a lovely fragrance to be doused with! Take plenty of spare insulin, reservoirs and infusions sets. I didn't have any problems with the vial that was already in use and three-quarters empty, it was the new one that caused me difficulties. So maybe if I'd used some insulin out of each vial before flying, they would have been ok. I also took one of those plastic boxes with a click-seal lid to keep some of the stuff in (not the vials), and that was definitely pressurised by the flight, as the lid was vacuum sealed and practically superglued on!

Thanks, I might order extra and take a little out of each vial before the flight then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back