Presentation for School

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodywody72

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi

My son's teacher has asked for him and me to go into his classroom to tell his friends about diabetes. I've been told that there may be a presentation I can download but I can't find anything. Has anyone ever used one and if so, do you know where I could get it from. Luke is 7 so I want to make it pretty simple.

Thanks
Joanne

JDRF have something online I think🙂

Hi

My son's teacher has asked for him and me to go into his classroom to tell his friends about diabetes. I've been told that there may be a presentation I can download but I can't find anything. Has anyone ever used one and if so, do you know where I could get it from. Luke is 7 so I want to make it pretty simple.

Thanks
Joanne

What an excellent idea🙂

Joanne - have you signed up to the CWD emailing list? http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/uk/ is the link.

I mention it not only because it's amazing for parents, but also quite a few children have been giving assemblies on diabetes, so a few of the parents have been preparing presentations 🙂

That's great thanks. There is lots of information on there so I am going to have a look now.

Thanks again.

Joanne

Good luck with the presentation - thought you might be interested in the following.

My daughter teaches 7 year olds and one little lass in her class was diagnosed Type 1 in September on her 7th birthday. Understandably, it has all taken her parents by surprise but the girl herself is adapting pretty well and she has chatted to my daughter about how I am managing my diabetes knowing we have that in common. However she wanted to share her new lifestyle with her classmates so, having consulted the Headteacher, my daughter happily let her go ahead at an appropriate time in the lesson (presumably this health, anti-bulling, peer mediation etc lesson they have now).

It all went well, with one of the class even saying "how long are you going to have to do this testing and injecting" and they were aghast when told she would have to do it for the rest of her life unless there is something else found by research in the future.

Unfortunately one of the boys - it would be wouldn't it ? - fainted when she was talking about injecting and the rest of the class then went into "Yuk" mode. However my daughter, supported by the Headteacher, still feels it was a positive thing for them having to understand what is going on in her life and luckily the mother of the boy who fainted said that he and his brother are prone to doing that when things like needles and blood is mentioned - adding "and don't even talk to my husband about giving blood or the like !" 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back