Prescriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I just wondered if all medications are free for diabetics or just diabetes medication. My DN said I am entitled to free prescriptions but as yet havent been prescribed metformin etc, but today my Dr has prescribed me some sleeping tablets (a weeks course) and I dont know if they are also free

No you are not entitled to free prescriptions unless you are on medication for your Diabetes.

No you are not entitled to free prescriptions unless you are on medication for your Diabetes.
Thank you, i did wonder this myself

Thank you, x
I completed the questionnaire, and it said yes, even though I ticked the box diabetes but controlled without medications. It said I need to get an exemption certificate from my doctor. Interesting as if it says yes anyway, why does it ask if you take medication for it?

Thinking about this, my son has asthma and doesnt get free prescriptions when asthma is something if he couldnt afford the medication for could be fatal, Whereas I can control mine (at the moment) with just diet and exercise.

I completed the questionnaire, and it said yes, even though I ticked the box diabetes but controlled without medications. It said I need to get an exemption certificate from my doctor. Interesting as if it says yes anyway, why does it ask if you take medication for it?
I don't know maybe ask at your Dr's, if you are exempt maybe they will give you an exemption certificate?
I'm exempt anyway because I'm 63, though I did pay for prescriptions past 60 years old, until chemist pointed out that I was exempt due to my age.

I think the important part of the statement is the MAY.
If you do not use insulin or medicine to manage your diabetes in England, you may still be eligible for free NHS prescriptions if you meet certain criteria.
Worth enquiring.

If your doctor has said you’re entitled to free prescriptions and you’ve filled the form in and got an exemption card, then yes it’s for all prescriptions, not just for the condition which you got the exemption for. Must admit that I’d have thought you’d have to be on a long-term medication to qualify, and you’re right I’m asthmatic and don’t qualify (although I’m lucky and don’t need my inhaler very often, maybe things would be different if I had it more seriously). But perhaps your doctor knows something that we don’t!

In 1972 when I was diagnosed with Type 1 D and therefore was told I should apply for exemption by my GP I mentioned this one day to my best friend. She then had a rant - cos her mom had chronic (ie lifelong with no cure) asthma, same as Jenny 65's son yet she did not qualify for exemption. She had to invest in annual 'season tickets' until she retired so got em free anyway, and still had asthma medication up until her demise. My own husband has COPD and that's exactly the same, doesn't qualify even though it was brought on by an RTA with broken ribs/pneumothorax. It's true the smoking since he was a kid up until that point certainly didn't help neither did the obsession with motorbikes, or the working life spent in heavy engineering, grinding etc before airflow helmets were invented - but just another thing that exemption does not apply to.

The other thing is suddenly discovered when I moved counties was my existing certificate became invalid so I had to apply again - no idea whether that still applies or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back