"Prescribe walking" suggestion by MP to GPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copepod

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinica...No=1&SortOrder=dateadded&PageSize=10#comments

Comments by Copepod, not extracted from article:
Conservative MP in Manchester, Mr David Rutley, has suggested that GPs should prescribe walking to their patients. He is also co-chair of All Party Parlimentary Group. The GPs who comment on the idea are very anti, but many people on this forum have explained how helpful they have found regular cheap expercise like walking. It's not mentioned that there are Health Walks groups in many areas, which help some people get started in walking, and that step counters are also useful - these could be prescribed for less than the cost of a packet of painkillers, for example. Of course it's nicer to walk in the hills than a "dog poo park", but many places have less dog poo on ground now than years ago, as more owners do bag and bin.

Quite right Copepod, the commentators seem to be totally missing the possibility of organised and monitored activity, and its benefits - not only as exercise, but possibly also for mental well-being and social contact.

What a great idea:D I do hope it becomes a reality.

Seeing Alan in agreement of a conservative MP? I may need a prescription myself lol:D

I have to admit, this is a rare occasion when I agree with a Conservative member - although he is a mountaineer 🙂

I can't walk very far without sitting down because of stiff hip/back but I'm loving going out for 20 minutes with OH and Susie on week day mornings and 40 minutes at the weekend. It's not a lot of walking but I get a real sense of achievement each time I do it.

I can't walk very far without sitting down because of stiff hip/back but I'm loving going out for 20 minutes with OH and Susie on week day mornings and 40 minutes at the weekend. It's not a lot of walking but I get a real sense of achievement each time I do it.

Exactly - and plenty to make a positive contribution to your health. Hope you remove dog poo, though 🙂

I kindly let OH pick up all of the dog poo. We put it into recycled carrier bags which we then put in the dog poo bin🙂. It really, really annoys me when people don't clear up after their dogs but on the whole people are good at the places where we walk🙂

Walking & backpacking are some of my pastimes anyway, and so I agree.
Been on a couple of day walks this year, and it looks like it's going to be a mild winter, in fact it's very sunny & spring - like today, so I'm looking forward to my first overnights, probably early February.

You don't have to do anything very strenuous, but I am reminded of something my doctor said years ago; "it's possible to sweat and relax at the same time"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back