Pregabalin For Over 60s

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyBikey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Currently I am prescribed Gabapentin for phantom pain and find it utterly useless for all but the mildest pain. Both it asnd Pregabalin are prescribed for diabetes related phantom pain. However, a couple of years ago with Gabapentin not really helping I was told Pregabalin was unsuitable for the over 60s as it caused confusion in older people. However, this week a consultant told me this was not the case and it might be an alternative for me.

So does anybody here of 60+ take Pregabalin for any sort of pain

A relative of mine takes Pregablin and Tramadol for dead nerve pain (sorry, I’m not a medic! Don’t know the correct term) and has done for at least 20 years - they’re in their late 80s. They couldn’t function without it. 🙂

A relative of mine takes Pregablin and Tramadol for dead nerve pain (sorry, I’m not a medic! Don’t know the correct term) and has done for at least 20 years - they’re in their late 80s. They couldn’t function without it. 🙂

Thank you your reply.as I am nearing the end of my tether after another bad night! It was prescribed to a lot of people in the care home I was transferred to after the amputation and did not seem particularly effective. I wonder if there is a cost implication. Maybe @Pattidevans knows the drug tariff?

did not seem particularly effective
Maybe it’s the combination with Tramadol that makes it work. My relative was also at the end of their tether - in fact, they read about Pregablin in the paper and told the pain consultant. He said, Let’s give it a go.

Good luck!

Not a thing I've ever needed so far but, a bit younger friend (with spina bifida but without ongoing fluid build-up in adulthood) and a marked curvature - looks like a Z bend, not an S bend) of her lower spine so been in pain for donkeys years, female due to retire from work next year, changed from Gab to Pregab last year by her docs and has seen a very marked change for the better in herself in lots of different ways as well as less pain! So I'd say Go For It !

Just had an evening GP telephone appointment. It turns out the use of Gabapentin vs Pregabalin is not that simple particularly in long term diabetics. Will write it up tomorrow as my head hurts but things are clearer now! :(

Be interested in your comments @MikeyBikey.

The sensory problems I have been having in my face are getting worse to the point where they are beyond irritating and heading towards debilitating. Not as bad as your phantom pain but a complete pain nonetheless. Saw the GP this week and I have started on gabapentin to see if it will tone things down.

Not much effect so far but I have been a bit wobbly today and my BG has gone up a notch. Will persevere and see where it goes.

Meanwhile try and relax and do what you need to stop your head hurting.

The sensory problems I have been having in my face are getting worse to the point where they are beyond irritating and heading towards debilitating. Not as bad as your phantom pain but a complete pain nonetheless. Saw the GP this week and I have started on gabapentin to see if it will tone things down.

Not much effect so far but I have been a bit wobbly today and my BG has gone up a notch. Will persevere and see where it goes.

Feel for you! I have had constant phantom pain for over six hours now. I didn't really have a headache more frustrated by all the contradictory information much like how to treat my foot. Worst it is clear some doctors do not really know and just pretend they do!

Sorry for the delay in replying. What it is that with Pregabalin they like you to have a good kidney function which many long diabetics do not have (my highest last year was 67% but it dropped as low as 35% whilst on Furosemide). Also many older people do not have a good kidney function, hence the over 60 comment. It was good to get the detail instead of confusing snippets.

I was on 300mg x 3 times daily and am now on 400mg plus one paracetamol. Whilst the phantom pain has reduced I feel very sluggish in the morning which makes getting up for morning appointments hard. I also seem to get more headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back