Preferred injection sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I'm pretty skinny - BMI 18.5 - and I find it difficult to find enough flesh to 'pinch' when I'm injecting. I use the top of my hips at the back for novorapid and abdomen for lantus. I did try the tops of my thighs for a short while, but that was painful as it was into muscle. I read somewhere that you can use your upper arm - I tried it once, but it's impossible to pinch the flesh and inject there, you'd need three arms!

At first I got quite a lot of bruising, but that seems to have got better. Now, I get the occasional little lump and try to avoid that area until it's gone. I've only been doing this for 6 months - anyone experienced any long term problems?

Hello I dont have your problem I am not skinny. Anyway I change injection sites from stomach, upper arm and bottom the latter 2 you dont really need to pinch and I have very short needles only 5mm in length this might be an option for you

hey i used to be the same bmi as u and have always been very slim

i used to inject in my stomach but its not got enough skin so now i have a couple of lumps think i have that lipo thing, cant remember the name but its very vaguely, so i stopped injectin there, nurses tryed my arms but bled to much as too skinny lol

so i usually inject on the bum area lol most fleshy.
i used to have very lumpy legs (at top) but has gone away since i dont use it as often.
i think bein on 4 times injections makes less lumps as i dont need as much insulin as i did wen i was on twice a day but i guess u just learn.

but i know how u feel, still go through it but i have put on a bit of weight so it is soo much easier havin a bit of flesh lol

the nurses told me that i didnt need to pinch wif 5mm needles but it was soo sore so i have to.

5mm needles are best.

i usually take lantus on one side of leg or bum then next injection on other side then the next injection move along near where i injected my lantus.
then next one go bak to other side and inject near where i injected before. do that for maybe 5-7 days then move to a completely different area of my leg or bum
but i guess its different for everyone lol

i hope i explained myself well lol mite be hard to understand.
i do apologise

x

I do not quite understnd the pinching thing. If I have more fat on my buttocks than on my legs, do I have to pinch the buttocks as well? I am using 8 mm neeldes at the moment.

Northerner -what length needles are you using? 6mm length might be easier, although you can inject at an acute angle to the skin and don't have to insert up to the plastic whatever length you use. No need to pinch as long as you inject into skin, not into muscle.

My needles are 8mm, thats sounds well long haha.
I only use my legs, I am aslo skinny, cant use my belly and couldnt reach my bum. My partner does the big insulatard for me in my arm, and if i ask him he will do others aswell. I would like to do them all myself as i hate realing on other people.

I hate those stupid lumps, and bruises. I hate the top of my legs , I dont like going swimming because people will see all the lumps.

Another thing that is annoying is delayed bleeding, you dont notice it and the next thing there is blood everywhere haha, Anyone know what i mean?

Have you tried using the top of your shoulders - the fleshy part at the top of your arm ? I'm pretty skinny and injecting into my arms tends to be either painful or creates bruises, but my shoulders are much easier.

Try resting your arm on a table, then you don't even need to pinch !🙂

Cheers,

Roddy.

Northerner -what length needles are you using? 6mm length might be easier, although you can inject at an acute angle to the skin and don't have to insert up to the plastic whatever length you use. No need to pinch as long as you inject into skin, not into muscle.

I'm using 6mm needles - have tried 5mm too, but they didn't make any discernible difference. I was told to inject at 90 degrees and I'm a good boy so I do as I'm told - anyone else been told this?

i use 5mm needles... just above my bum is where i normally inject... dont really think i do it at 90 degrees though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back