1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Prednisone and hyperglycaemia

Discussion in 'General Messageboard' started by Tsher60, May 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Tsher60

Tsher60 Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    Hi everyone,

I am diagnosed type 2 diet controlled diabetic since 2015. The highest hba1c has been 49. I also have low blood sugars which have gone down to 2.4.

My question is in relation to being put on Prednisone for 3 weeks, tailing off to stop at the 3rd week.

I have been testing my blood in the evenings as recommended, (pills are taken in the morning), and my readings are very high. This is 2 hours after eating:

They are ranging between 15.9 and 19.4. I told the consultant that I am type 2 diet controlled and he said it should not be a problem as I am not on meds. Personally, I feel sleepy and out of sorts. Surely this is not normal to have these levels. Should I dial 111?

Very best wishes
    TSher60

2. Docb

Docb Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Quote from medcineNet:

Prednisone and diabetes: Prednisone is associated with new onset or manifestations of latent diabetes, and worsening of diabetes. Diabetics may require higher doses of diabetes medications while taking prednisone

At first sight it would appear that the higher blood glucose could be associated with your taking prednisone and I would be asking someone about it and whether it should be stopped or whether you need treatment for the higher blood glucose whilst taking it. I would be asking the question of either who is monitoring your diabetes or who prescribed the prednisone although that might be difficult at the weekend.

Tsher60 likes this.
  3. Tsher60

Tsher60 Member

Type 2
    Thank you x I am speaking with 111 now, so very grateful for your reply.x

4. mikeyB

mikeyB Well-Known Member

Type 1
    I’m not surprised at the rising BG. Diabetics of any flavour get that effect on steroids. I have bouts of Ulcerative Colitis occasionally that need a blast of steroids to sort out, but I’m just used to bunging up my basal insulin by at least 40% and short acting by the same. I’d be very interested to see what 111 suggest. Do NOT stop the steroids suddenly, it’s medically inadvisable if you’ve been taking them for 5 days or more.

Tsher60 likes this.
  5. Tsher60

Tsher60 Member

Type 2
    Hi Mike,

Awaiting a reply from clinician or paramedic. Guess I am more concerned that I have no diabetic meds to bring the numbers down. The steroids are for an arthritis flare, was rushed in with temp of 39.9 and low blood pressure a week ago. Also have suspected Vasculitis. Could be worse xx

6. Pumper_Sue

Pumper_Sue Well-Known Member

Type 1
    @Tsher60 when you take Prednisolone it kicks in blood sugar wise about lunch time. As you are diet controlled the best way to help yourself is to avoid as much carbohydrate as you can whilst on the Pred.

As a matter of interest what dosage are you on?

7. mikeyB

mikeyB Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Rheumatoid Arthritis is a b***er at the best of times, never mind getting diabetes shoved on top. Sounds like a hairy flare up, so I hope the medics can paper over the diabetes cracks while the flare up is contained. Best of luck with the medics, and hope this doesn’t send you back to hospital.

8. Tsher60

Tsher60 Member

Type 2
    Hi Sue,

Thank you for your reply. Only on 3x 5mg at the moment, Been on those for 4 days, so another 3 days on that dose, then down to 10mg daily, then tapering off to 5 mg daily then stopping.

I have kept very low on the carbs, almost to non existent.

xx

9. Tsher60

Tsher60 Member

Type 2
    Hi Mike,

I have to go to a and e due to being on no diabetic meds. Will let you know how it goes.

Xx

10. Pumper_Sue

Type 1
    The normal amount of steroid the body naturally has is the equivalent of 4mg of pred if I remember rightly, hence why you pancreas is well and truly challenged.

Hopefully once you come off of the steroids things will improve for you. If it were me I would be asking for insulin when or if you need the steroids again.

11. Tsher60

Tsher60 Member

Type 2
    Hi Sue,

Went to a and e and my bs was then up to 21. They have looked at my numbers and have put me on Metformin. They have assigned me a nurse who is going to keep an eye on things. Thanks again to yourself and Mike for your support.

Best wishes
    Theresa xx

12. Pumper_Sue

Type 1
    As Met takes about 6 weeks to work once you start taking it, don't expect instant results :)
    Hope things improve for you soon though.

Tsher60 likes this.
  13. Flutterby

Flutterby Well-Known Member

Type 1
    How are you getting on now? Hope things have improved a bit for you.

Tsher60 likes this.
  14. Tsher60

Tsher60 Member

Type 2
    Hi Flutterby,

Thank you for asking xx

Feeling a bit better thank goodness, sugars have come down to around 14.9 mol/L.

Very best wishes
    Theresa x

15. mikeyB

mikeyB Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Steroids increase BG by forcing the liver to release glucose. Part of Metformin’s effect is by inhibiting liver release of glucose. It will be interesting to see which side wins:)

Current odds, 2:1 on Metformin, but only as long as you are reducing steroids.

Whatever, for sure, it’s a learning experience. You’ll know what to do next time.

16. Tsher60

Tsher60 Member

Type 2
    Hi,

Me again. Thank you for your responses and support. So Metaformin is not bringing down the numbers. I am now on x2 prednisone a day (was on x3 a day last week). BS is still spiking to 18.8, not sure what to do. Is it dangerous to have such a high bs for so long. Thinking I should ride it out until the steroids are finished next week and hope the bs drops down. The hospital were supposed to follow up from the Diabetic Nurse, but haven’t.

Best wishes
    Theresa x