Predictors that determine toxic fats in the liver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Accumulation of fat in the liver, known as fatty liver disease, is experienced by over 5.5 million Australians, including more than 40% of all adults over the age of 50.

Fatty liver develops from a combination of both genetic and environmental causes, which influence the age of onset and severity of the disease. Experts are now describing the condition as a hidden epidemic, which is driving up rates of liver transplant, contributing to a range of illnesses and ultimately death.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/02/190227131852.htm

Phew, good job I’m not Australian. That’ll give Eddy the willies.😱

It’s not as dire as that & I recovered from my fatty liver diagnosis after changing my diet.

I was diagnosed 7 years ago. Mind you I was getting steadily more ill, more frequently in the 2 years it took to be diagnosed. Lots of blood tests, scans & various tests before my GP finally found what was wrong when I said, towards the end of the 2 year period, my no: 1’s & 2’s were very oily & I was throwing up cheese puff sized lumps of sticky white fat: like VapoRub! GP told me to cut out obvious fat, like cakes, pastries, eggs, fat on meat etc. for relief of symptoms but, not to cut fat out completely as there’s essential vitamins etc. that are needed. I did that & the relief was almost instant! What the doctors DIDN’T tell me is that the liver can heal itself if you stop what it can’t handle & give it the chance to heal: the only organ in the body that CAN heal itself!

I found to my surprise last year, after abstaining for 6 years, that I COULD handle fats again! I’m now eating & handling eggs, they gave me the most trouble, red meat, the occasional cake & pastries etc. this past year. I know the early warning signs if I’m eating too much fat, too fast for my liver to handle & cut it back a bit again! Mind you those early symptoms could be attributed to Metaformin too but, I’m erring on the safe side because if it gets to the stage of oily no: 1’s & 2’s, & certainly to throwing up lumps of fat, it’s quite far down the line of a fatty liver again!

Quite right, Lanny. The liver has remarkable ability to recover from abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back