Prediabetic

PurpleMoose

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Pronouns
He/They
Hi all.

Recently diagnosed as prediabetic. HBa1c at 42. I've just turned 24 and it's come as a massive shock. I wasn't in the best of health in my early 20s (mix of COVID lockdown and university) but was working on getting in better shape. I was diagnosed as having high blood pressure late last year, possible fatty liver, and possible thyroid problems. Worked hard and now my cholesterol and thyroid issues have come down as I've been going to the gym two or three times a week and while I've not lost weight, I've shifted fat to muscle.

Only to go in for a routine blood test last week and just get a text telling me I'm prediabetic. I've got a support group and a further GP appointment on the 21st but it's all just a big shock and I'd appreciate some advice and guidance. Already trying to cut out carbs and change my diet.

Admittedly, I suppose it might not have been as big a shock. High blood pressure, overweight, both my parents were at high risk of diabetes, my grandmother was diabetic, and I'm half-asian which I'm told has a big factor apparently.

I'm incredibly stressed out about it and it kind of feels like the end of the world. I know it's not but I can't really help but feel it.

Hi all.

Recently diagnosed as prediabetic. HBa1c at 42. I've just turned 24 and it's come as a massive shock. I wasn't in the best of health in my early 20s (mix of COVID lockdown and university) but was working on getting in better shape. I was diagnosed as having high blood pressure late last year, possible fatty liver, and possible thyroid problems. Worked hard and now my cholesterol and thyroid issues have come down as I've been going to the gym two or three times a week and while I've not lost weight, I've shifted fat to muscle.

Only to go in for a routine blood test last week and just get a text telling me I'm prediabetic. I've got a support group and a further GP appointment on the 21st but it's all just a big shock and I'd appreciate some advice and guidance. Already trying to cut out carbs and change my diet.

Admittedly, I suppose it might not have been as big a shock. High blood pressure, overweight, both my parents were at high risk of diabetes, my grandmother was diabetic, and I'm half-asian which I'm told has a big factor apparently.

I'm incredibly stressed out about it and it kind of feels like the end of the world. I know it's not but I can't really help but feel it.
Welcome to the forum, no it is not the end of the world and thank your lucky stars that you have been alerted to the situation at this stage, which is really just on the first rung of the prediabetes ladder.
Some modest changes to your diet are likely to be all that is needed, just cutting out cakes, biscuits and sugary drinks including fruit juice and maybe having a bit less of any high carb foods like potatoes, rice, pasta and fruits like bananas and tropical fruits. It should not need any massive changes.
Have a look at this link for some good explanation and some menu ideas which may appeal to you. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
You mention various illnesses and those can be the cause of increased blood glucose so you may find as you recover from those it will improve your blood glucose as well.

Welcome to the forum, no it is not the end of the world and thank your lucky stars that you have been alerted to the situation at this stage, which is really just on the first rung of the prediabetes ladder.
Some modest changes to your diet are likely to be all that is needed, just cutting out cakes, biscuits and sugary drinks including fruit juice and maybe having a bit less of any high carb foods like potatoes, rice, pasta and fruits like bananas and tropical fruits. It should not need any massive changes.
Have a look at this link for some good explanation and some menu ideas which may appeal to you. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
You mention various illnesses and those can be the cause of increased blood glucose so you may find as you recover from those it will improve your blood glucose as well.
Many thanks for the response. 🙂

Do I need to cut down cakes, biscuits, sugary drinks etc. completely or would the occasional one once in a blue moon be okay? I know this forum isn't for medical advice, but I'd appreciate your perspective.

Do I need to cut down cakes, biscuits, sugary drinks etc. completely or would the occasional one once in a blue moon be okay? I know this forum isn't for medical advice, but I'd appreciate your perspective.
Hi @PurpleMoose welcome to the forum
personally I would stay away from sugary drinks but cakes occasionally can be ok

we all react differently to different foods, some cakes are far lower carb than others, for me as a example I can eat a Greggs Cream eclair without it spiking my blood sugar levels,
however a cinnamon cake from IKEA sends them SkyHigh, (I have to keep a close eye on my levels a lot more than you would need to)

as @Leadinglights relied to your initial post
you probably won’t have to make to many changes to your diet to see a drop in your Hba1c
well done on getting to the Gym though even if your not loosing weight which you said you want to hopefully the excercise will help and maybe reduce the fat in your liver.

Can I ask what is your BMI ?

Occasionally should be fine as a treat. I would avoid the sugary drinks though when diet versions are readily available.
If you are into baking the website sugarfreelondoner had recipes for low carb cakes etc as well as savoury dishes.
It is when the 'once in a blue moon' becomes every moon

Hi @PurpleMoose welcome to the forum
personally I would stay away from sugary drinks but cakes occasionally can be ok

we all react differently to different foods, some cakes are far lower carb than others, for me as a example I can eat a Greggs Cream eclair without it spiking my blood sugar levels,
however a cinnamon cake from IKEA sends them SkyHigh, (I have to keep a close eye on my levels a lot more than you would need to)

as @Leadinglights relied to your initial post
you probably won’t have to make to many changes to your diet to see a drop in your Hba1c
well done on getting to the Gym though even if your not loosing weight which you said you want to hopefully the excercise will help and maybe reduce the fat in your liver.

Can I ask what is your BMI ?
Honestly, my BMI is still pretty bad at 32.8 but that's dropped from 34.5 (I think) since I started the gym and everything. Admittedly, I was still eating *roughly* the same as I used to (and sometimes worse. The summer was particularly bad as my parents visited for two weeks while work also got really hectic so it was a lot of takeaways and stress eating which is definitely a habit I need to fix)

Honestly, my BMI is still pretty bad at 32.8 but that's dropped from 34.5 (I think) since I started the gym and everything. Admittedly, I was still eating *roughly* the same as I used to (and sometimes worse. The summer was particularly bad as my parents visited for two weeks while work also got really hectic so it was a lot of takeaways and stress eating which is definitely a habit I need to fix)
so it’s good that you found the forum
Im sure I’m not the only one who is confident you will get in better shape by the end of the year, both a reduction to your BMI & your Hba1c

Something you might want to consider
this summer I myself completed a program run by my local football club (well it was a community attached to my club’s trust to be precise)
something I got a lot from and have got my BMI down so I’m no longer Obese (just)
there was one overweight and under-fit lad on the program who lost im sure he lost 30KG
something like that could be a good option for you,
it wasn’t just sport & excercise but healthy eating & well-being
some of us joked it was kind of like AA but for overweight & under-fit guys also it was very inclusive of all ages etc..
they are free to attend (funded by EFL & the national lottery I think)
I just thought something like that might help you?

so it’s good that you found the forum
Im sure I’m not the only one who is confident you will get in better shape by the end of the year, both a reduction to your BMI & your Hba1c

Something you might want to consider
this summer I myself completed a program run by my local football club (well it was a community attached to my club’s trust to be precise)
something I got a lot from and have got my BMI down so I’m no longer Obese (just)
there was one overweight and under-fit lad on the program who lost im sure it was 30KG
something like that could be a good option for you,
as it wasn’t just sport & excercise but healthy eating & well-being
some of us joked it was like AA but for overweight and under-fit guys also it was very inclusive of all ages etc..
they are free to attend (funded by EFL & the national lottery I think)
I just thought something like that might help you?
I'll definitely look into something like that and hopefully the diabetes prevention support group also assists. I was just panicking a bit because three weeks without anyone telling me anything and it potentially getting worse was stressing me out a lot. (and I tend to suffer with stress a great deal anyway)

I'll definitely look into something like that and hopefully the diabetes prevention support group also assists. I was just panicking a bit because three weeks without anyone telling me anything and it potentially getting worse was stressing me out a lot. (and I tend to suffer with stress a great deal anyway)
Stress can cause blood glucose to increase so calm down and just take it easy and you will get there.

Welcome to the forum @PurpleMoose. Not many people of your age get such a major wake up call. I got high blood pressure in my early fifties and could say my sedentary lifestyle and love of food didn't help. I put on increasing weight in my early forties with an early menopause. Apart from a few months when I went to the gym and got a trainer I didn't change my ways. I have an annual blood test for my blood pressure and was told my cholesteral had crept up. I discovered that my blood wasn't tested for diabetes and asked for a test but was shocked when it came back at 69 in July. It has reduced since then and I've lost 10 kgs. I never got the wake up call of prediabetes. Well done for being so proactive health improvements are going to be good for your heart health and blood pressure. I'm reducing carbs and eating fish and vegetables. I've recently had a new medication that needs me to eat more carbs Fish and veg are very carb light. The freshwell site is very good as there is graphic outlining best things to eat. Essentially if you move more and watch your portion size you can eat most things and certainly have occasional treats. I had porridge this morning and was delighted to find it did not affect my blood sugar whereas other people won't eat it. We do vary.

So far as sugary drinks what do you mean? I gave up sugar in tea and coffee when I was 12 and on cereal in my teens. I've never been a fan of fizzy drinks. Smoothies and fruit juice are sweet and calorific. If you could wean yourself off you could find something else to eat or drink. Water is excellent!

Don't get stressed just look through the freshwell app and check if some of the recipes or choices appeal. Small changes now will make a huge difference.

I recently enjoyed a cottage pie mashed potato on mince. I made the effort to only eat half with lots of different veg and did the same the next day. My blood sugar was fine. I had seen a video suggesting you ate food in a particular order so I ate the mash last.

Look at what has happened as an opportunity and post any questions you have.

Looks like you are getting plenty of good advice already, so hopefully things will look up :party:

that program that I got a lot out of you will find details of here https://eflinthecommunity.com/fitfans
if that link works (I’m still a bit 😡😱 with technology)
don’t worry that it says they are helping the over 35’s as having done the program myself I can guarantee there were people under 35 also in the group I joined

Welcome to the forum @PurpleMoose

Sounds like you have started to make some good progress already. Hopefully your being told you are ‘at risk of diabetes’ will be a sort of catalyst that encourages you to keep these positive changes going, and leads to a fitter, lighter, and healthier you 🙂

Many folks on forum have had this experience before you. Many later reflect that they’ve not felt so healthy for years after the changes they made following their diagnosis(!). Often you don’t realise how weary, worn down and lethargic you have been feeling. Erratic and elevated blood glucose levels can be exhausting and are linked with low mood, but this may have come on quite gradually. Making a few positive changes here and there can give you more energy, a clearer mind, and a brighter outlook all round.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

Back