Prediabetic, symptoms, Dont know where to turn?

CatLady2024

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Pronouns
She/Her
Hello all, new to the forum and first post. I have pcos and have known about it for 5 years. March 2024 I started to not feel myself, really tired, sluggish and my appetite increased quite a lot. I was hungry almost all of the time and would feel awful quickly if I didn't eat- it would feel like low blood sugar. Sometimes this was really scary. First HbA1C came back normal. I restated the 2 x 500mg daily metformin I was previously prescribed for pcos this took the edge of the hunger and made it less extreme. September 2024 repeated HbA1c and came back prediabetes. No support from gp just told to repeat test I'm 3 months. I'm still struggling with the hunger and feeling awful if I don't eat every few hours. I've gained almost 3 stone this year. I don't eat a poor diet but with the pcos and appetite increase its gone on plus feeling rubbish so less activity. I keep asking for help at the gp but they said I need to see weight management team and they can help - I saw them last week they said they can't they just needed me to say yes or no to a bariatric pathway. Reading this back is making me tearful it's so frustrating. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all I'm advance x

Has a low carb diet been advised, as it can be effective for PCOS and type 2 diabetes?

I haven't been formally advised on anything ive just been left but I am trying to make some carb reduction changes myself. Trying the changes slowly because I am so hungry all the time choosing different grains and options from the GI lists and trying to reduce some carbs by replacing with veg and proteins. Thank you for writing back 🙂

I haven't been formally advised on anything ive just been left but I am trying to make some carb reduction changes myself. Trying the changes slowly because I am so hungry all the time choosing different grains and options from the GI lists and trying to reduce some carbs by replacing with veg and proteins. Thank you for writing back 🙂
I found that a food having a low GI made not one bit of difference.
The only way to lower my blood glucose was to reduce carbs until I was seeing under 8 mmol/l after meals - at the 2 hour from starting to eat point - then things clicked into gear and I started back towards normal.
The essential foods are proteins and fats, carbs are optional extras.

@CatLady2024
I have found Zoe Harcombe's advice helpful for weight maintenance. She wrote this article about PCOS hormones and weight in 2012. It's rather long, for good reason, but bears out what Drummer says about careful attention to carbohydrates. If you have not seen it already I hope it helps a bit.

I haven't seen this but will look into it. Thank you for taking the time to reply 🙂

Another approach you could try would be to look at the Freshwell program as that was designed by a GP surgery to help their patients lose weight and reduce their HbA1C. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Taking action now should help stop a increase. Usually when people are at the prediabetes stage metformin is not usually prescribed but in your case with the pcos I can see the logic as it was originally a medication for that condition.
But you need to look at your diet and with a low carb regime there is no need to feel hungry. Indeed it is a high carb diet that can actually lead to people being hungry because they over produce insulin.
Replacing the reduction in carbs with protein and healthy fats plus plenty of veg and salads would be a good start.
Keeping a food diary of everything you eat and drink with an estimate of the carbs not just sugar would give you an idea of where you can reduce your carbs and help you see how far you are from a suggested no more than 130g carbs not just sugar per day.

I've gained almost 3 stone this year. I don't eat a poor diet but with the pcos and appetite increase its gone on plus feeling rubbish so less activity. I keep asking for help at the gp but they said I need to see weight management team and they can help - I saw them last week they said they can't they just needed me to say yes or no to a bariatric pathway.

Sorry to hear that you aren’t finding it easy to get support and advice tailored to your specific challenges. :(

I can’t see specific dietary recommendations in skim-read of the NICE guidance for HCPs but you might find something of interest in there somewhere?

However, this 2024 paper recognises the profound challenges that can come along with PCOS, including appetite, and food cravings. Section 5 makes some suggestions about possible food/menu choices that may help

Back