Prediabetic newbie

Jackz

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi everyone, bit nervous introducing myself but here goes. I've very recently been diagnosed as prediabetic (readings between 47 - 51) and I'm just struggling with the best course of action to take.

I've recently turned 35, zero family history of any type of diabetes and don't fit any of the other suggested characteristics for type 2 diabetes. I'm a bit overweight but fairly active. I had real trouble getting my doctors to take my concerns seriously and the wait for what I knew would be the diagnosis made my anxiety rocket. Once I got my diagnosis, the doctor suggested metformin and I have been prescribed it but am yet to take it.

I'm feeling very pressured by doctors, family and friends to take it, mostly as they are so concerned with how ill I've been (I have been so lethargic and feeling nauseous to the point I have been working from home for nearly a month). I'm wary of taking it because of the side effects but also because I have seen very few stories from people with prediabetes who have been prescribed it so quickly. I haven't even had my meeting with our nurses to discuss lifestyle changes yet.

Interestingly I was on holiday last week and it's the best I've felt in months and I'm piecing together just what I ate differently to feel so much more myself again. I'd just love some advice and reassurance from anyone, particularly around the metformin and prediabetes side of things. Thanks in advance 🙂

Hi everyone, bit nervous introducing myself but here goes. I've very recently been diagnosed as prediabetic (readings between 47 - 51) and I'm just struggling with the best course of action to take.

I've recently turned 35, zero family history of any type of diabetes and don't fit any of the other suggested characteristics for type 2 diabetes. I'm a bit overweight but fairly active. I had real trouble getting my doctors to take my concerns seriously and the wait for what I knew would be the diagnosis made my anxiety rocket. Once I got my diagnosis, the doctor suggested metformin and I have been prescribed it but am yet to take it.

I'm feeling very pressured by doctors, family and friends to take it, mostly as they are so concerned with how ill I've been (I have been so lethargic and feeling nauseous to the point I have been working from home for nearly a month). I'm wary of taking it because of the side effects but also because I have seen very few stories from people with prediabetes who have been prescribed it so quickly. I haven't even had my meeting with our nurses to discuss lifestyle changes yet.

Interestingly I was on holiday last week and it's the best I've felt in months and I'm piecing together just what I ate differently to feel so much more myself again. I'd just love some advice and reassurance from anyone, particularly around the metformin and prediabetes side of things. Thanks in advance 🙂
Hi Jackz,
Welcome to the forum. Plenty of advice to come from members but it's all about diet as you have already discovered. The aim is to get rid of excess fat in and around your liver which dysregulates glucose control. To start the ball rolling here is Dr David Unwin's diet sheet:
- https://phcuk.org/wp-content/uploads/A_5_page_low_carb_diet_leaflet_Unwin_2021-converted.pdf
93% of his prediabetic patients have reversed their condition.

Welcome to the forum.
I'm a little confused here as 42-47 mmol/mol is prediabetes, 48 or above is diabetes. Do you know what your actual HbA1c result was?

Food choices are influenced to some degree by the meds you take, hopefully someone will be along soon with information on metformin.

Welcome to the forum.
I'm a little confused here as 42-47 mmol/mol is prediabetes, 48 or above is diabetes. Do you know what your actual HbA1c result was?

Food choices are influenced to some degree by the meds you take, hopefully someone will be along soon with information on metformin.
Sorry that was a typo from me! I've had two tests, one was 51 (on a non-fasting day) the other was 48 (and I had fasted for that set of tests). Doctors said because the results fluctuated that puts me firmly in prediabetes.

Im new too and not sure where the fasting results fit. I had the standard test which is based on the amount of sugar stuck to your blood cells over previous 8 to 12 weeks. I was 69 and having made an effort to moderate diet and move more the next was 64. I'm due a further result on Tuesday. Having discovered the forum I was hoping to avoid medication but started metaformin last month. I increased to maximum dose, 4 tablets yesterday. I did start two threads about it when I was feeling overwhelmed. I assumed I would be hit by the runs but in fact the opposite has happened. One of my posts was when I hadn't poohed for 7 days.However each time I posted about delay I was relieved that day. I had no pain no signs of problems and passed easily. My last motion was five days after my previous one so perhaps things are speeding up. I am on slow release which is more expensive for the doctors but kinder to the body and I have read on here you can take them all together. It seems to have deadened my appetite so that I don't want much and sometimes anything to eat in the evening. I have started taking two tablets with breakfast and two with a late lunch.

The bouts of tiredness and dulling of my appetite may be nothing to do with medication as being diagnosed is stressful.

I am overweight and the bonus is I am losing weight each weak. I have high cholestral so have decided to eat mainly fish but meat is fine. Low carb is a revelation to me. I still chose to eat some bread but a few times a week. I was surmised how carb heavy some fruit and veg is. There is a very good food chart on the freshwell site. However you are unlikely to be put on the full dose of metaformin and I'm sure you will quickly work out what to eat less of.

There is a huge variety of items you can still eat. At 35 you need to concentrate on enjoying your life and being healthier.
Hopefully you will never become diabetic and will be pleased you've had a wake up call.

Sorry that was a typo from me! I've had two tests, one was 51 (on a non-fasting day) the other was 48 (and I had fasted for that set of tests). Doctors said because the results fluctuated that puts me firmly in prediabetes.
Perhaps you misheard? Two results of 48 or above, as you had, give a diagnosis of diabetes, not prediabetes. Fasting or not makes absolutely no difference to an HbA1c test. How far apart were the tests?

Yes anything over 47mmol/mol would be diabetes. There is no reason why some dietary changes will not bring your HbA1C down to normal without the metformin, many GPs would give you that opportunity for 3 months before the medication option.
Have a look at this link for some ideas for dietary changes. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com

Hello, welcome to the forum!

Everything will be fine very soon, I wish your fast recovery.

Hi Jackz and welcome to the forum!

Being within that range, you could very well be likely to reduce those numbers by exercise and diet alone. We do have an entire section on food and exercise here on the forum, so do have a read and see if you'd like to try anything yourself. Hopefully speaking to your nurses about the changes you can make will be helpful as well! The thing with those changes is that they'll need to be enjoyable, something that you can stick to and continue doing.
You mentioned feeling better during your holidays, was the food very different from what you'd usually have? Were you sightseeing or enjoying some activities?

Back