Prediabetes

Suemor

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Morning, I’ve just been informed I’m prediabetic, close to Type2 diabetes. I’ve checked through lots of What To Eat info and conclude my diet mostlyok. However, I’ve been highly stressed most of my life and feel this has caught up with me. If right, does this mean medication would be only way to lower risk? I don’t smoke, drink, or eat meat. Make my own whole meal bread, eat bran, porridge, eggs, cheese, BUTTER, make most of my meals, rarely eat processed food.

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello @Suemor and welcome to our forum.
A prediabetes diagnosis is just a warning flag that there is risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
If you act now you can give yourself a great chance of a future free of diabetes, and there is very good chance indeed that you won't need medication.

Cut back on sweet things, reduce your starchy carb intake, eat more leafy and low carb veggies, opt for berries rather than high carb fruits, increase your levels of activity, and things should improve for you.

If you can also though find ways of reducing your stress levels this will also be a great help, not only with reducing your diabetes risk, but with your improving your general health as well.
The link below has some more information that you may find helpful.

Docb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Delicate question @Suemore but do you need to lose some weight? If so, then that is a good place to start when it comes to working on things to get you blood glucose back to where it should be. No need to panic and the neat thing is that many have found that changing what they eat to reduce their carbohydrate intake also leads to a steady and sustainable weight loss.

If I am on the wrong track and you are already at a healthy BMI, then forgive my impertinence, and I will think again.

DianeCatCrazy

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Morning, I’ve just been informed I’m prediabetic, close to Type2 diabetes. I’ve checked through lots of What To Eat info and conclude my diet mostlyok. However, I’ve been highly stressed most of my life and feel this has caught up with me. If right, does this mean medication would be only way to lower risk? I don’t smoke, drink, or eat meat. Make my own whole meal bread, eat bran, porridge, eggs, cheese, BUTTER, make most of my meals, rarely eat processed food.
Hi, I understand how you’re feeling. I’m prediabetic too. However I was diagnosed last September and GP referred me to a prediabetic course run by NHS. I waited to get on until January, then it abruptly stopped in March due to lock down, I never understood why as it was online! I did learn a few useful things but since March I’ve drifted and felt lost again. Now I’m determined to undo the last few months damage using Diabetes UK and these forums to inspire me. It might be worth asking your GP for a referral to the prediabetic course as I did find it helpful until lockdown happened. A coach is allocated to you. Good luck.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I understand how you’re feeling. I’m prediabetic too. However I was diagnosed last September and GP referred me to a prediabetic course run by NHS. I waited to get on until January, then it abruptly stopped in March due to lock down, I never understood why as it was online! I did learn a few useful things but since March I’ve drifted and felt lost again. Now I’m determined to undo the last few months damage using Diabetes UK and these forums to inspire me. It might be worth asking your GP for a referral to the prediabetic course as I did find it helpful until lockdown happened. A coach is allocated to you. Good luck.
Not all these courses are the same all over the country, they vary.

Suemor

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Delicate question @Suemore but do you need to lose some weight? If so, then that is a good place to start when it comes to working on things to get you blood glucose back to where it should be. No need to panic and the neat thing is that many have found that changing what they eat to reduce their carbohydrate intake also leads to a steady and sustainable weight loss.

If I am on the wrong track and you are already at a healthy BMI, then forgive my impertinence, and I will think again.
Thanks DocB. No need to worry about being indelicate. I haven’t a clue what my BMI is but think it just ok. I’m trying light fasting and cutting meal sizes down. A friend with type 1 recommended The Obesity Code unlocking the secrets of weight loss by Dr Jason Fung. It seems he’s against calorie counting, insisting cutting down on carbs and sugar much better. Reducing stress, after 70 decades of being ‘highly strung’ very difficult, especially with the state of the world as it is.

Suemor

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Thanks Diane, I will ask for surgery dietician to ring me to discuss options. So many things to think about, aren’t there?!

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I think that eating low carb can actually help with coping - at least during the times I have been pushed to eat 'healthy' carbs I have not coped as well - the times my husband has been out of work really emphasise it for me, looking back on them now. Try cutting back on or excluding those high carb foods for a while and see if your mood lightens.

Docb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@suemore, Sounds like a bit of weight loss through cutting your carb intake is a good way to go for you. It is essentially what worked for me. Lets hope the surgery dietitian is au fait with current ideas on carbohydrate control.

My approach is that you do not need to panic and do not need wholesale changes in diet. What worked for me was a combination of eliminating some things, mostly snacks, cutting back on flour consumption by changing the bread I use, cutting back on grains in general, reducing the fruit I eat and changing proportions of components of meals. I describe that by suggesting I now eat bolognese sauce with some spaghetti rather than spaghetti with some bolognese sauce and my granola is nuts and seeds with toasted oats rather than toasted oats with nuts and seeds. A bit of logic and common sense should be good enough for those like yourself who do not have a long way to go.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Suemor

Sorry to hear about your being at increased risk of diabetes, and about your stress

Prediabetes is not a defined condition, but it’s shorthand for indications that your metabolism is beginning to struggle with the modern Western diet.

Of the things you are eating it is the carbohydrates that will be raising your blood glucose levels, and that your body is having difficulty processing properly.

Keeping a food diary for a week, with an estimate of carb content of various meals and snacks might usefully give you an indication of where your main sources of carb are (it may not be what you consider your ‘big‘ meals), and keep your kitchen scales handy because what often is described as a ‘portion’ is nothing like what people generally serve themselves!

As others have said, it is likely that a few small changes to your regular diet will make all the difference to your BG levels.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Perfect10

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I have recently been told I am pre diabetic too, I have found looking at the amount of carbs I ate a real eye opener, thought I ate healthy, lots of beans and pulses, porridge, wholemeal bread etc all healthy foods until you look at total carbs for the day which was almost double the recommended amount! I have since gone on a low carb diet and have started to reduce my risk in just 4 weeks but need to continue with this.