PreDiabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne2530

Recently diagnosed with prediabetis 4 weeks ago. I take a medicine called empagliflozin for heart failure and have been taking it for over a year. I know that this is also a medication for diabetes. I am not understanding that whilst on this medication I developed prediabetis or would this have been diabetes had I not been taking empagliflozin for so long. I definitely have the symtoms of diabetes but hadn't put all the symtoms together until now. I have still not seen anyone about my results as diabetic nurse on a 3 week holiday. (No-one else in practise available to help). Have been taking finger prick test first thing in the morning and getting 8.1 to 11.2.
Sorry for the ramble but I have no idea what to do. I can only presume not serious as I have been in limbo for the last 4 weeks waiting to hear from diabetic nurse. Any input at all would be welcome. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum @Anne2530

Sorry to hear about your being told you are at risk of diabetes. Empagliflozin is in a class of medications (SGLT2 inhibitors) which encourage the body to emit more glucose in urine, so I wonder if perhaps you might have been told you are at risk of diabetes earlier if the empagliflozin has been helping to keep your BGs down?

Sorry to hear you aren’t seeming to get much support from your surgery with staff absences :(

For a bit of an overview of T2 diabetes, you might want to register for an account with the Learning Zone (the orange tab in the main menu) which is packed full of informative bite-sized modules. Additionally, for a more personal take, you could read through Maggie Davey’s Letter to the Newly Diagnosed

Hang in there - you will make it!

The high blood glucose levels are probably making you feel a bit rough.
The usual advice for people on that medication for diabetes is that you need to drink plenty 2-3 litres a day but I don't know if that applies if taking it for other reasons.
However something that you can be doing is reduce the amount of carbohydrates in your diet as it is those that convert to glucose. This link may help you find a way of doing that https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
It may be useful to keep a food diary of everything you eat and drink with an estimate of the amount of carbs not just sugar and see how that compares with the suggested no more than 130g per day carbs and it will help you see where some savings can be made.

Thank you for your advice I am just so confused by the whole diagnosis. I should have said I am a 68 year old female with heart failure and COPD. I was diagnosed about 6 yeau7j

Thank you for your advice I am just so confused by the whole diagnosis. I should have said I am a 68 year old female with heart failure and COPD. I was diagnosed about 6 yeau7j
I think oral diabetes medication can only deal with so much in terms of managing to reduce or prevent an increase in blood glucose so when tolerance of carbohydrates is limited then if people have more than that then blood glucose increases. Also medication like steroids can increase blood glucose as can illness, stress, and quite a lot of other factors so this may be why this has happened now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back