Prediabetes and propanolol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gowest12

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi there I was diagnosed with prediabetes last year November with hba1c of 42. I’ve been doing low carb and managed to get it down to 38 which I didn’t think was that good for all the effort I made. I don’t have weight to lose either as I’m lower end of normal body mass. So my next question is I have been suffering with anxiety and my doctor prescribed me propanolol 40 mg a day and I’ve been taking this for 2 months now but I’ve been reading lots of things online saying it’s a terrible drug that will cause diabetes! I’m so scared of taking it now as my last hba1c was 40 as I had had covid and was eating more carbs also. Now I’m back to low carb but scared the propanolol will give me full blown diabetes!!! Has anyone got any experience with propanolol raising blood sugars?????? I’m feeling like what’s the point to me even bothering with low carb if my medication is going to cause it anyway

Hi there I was diagnosed with prediabetes last year November with hba1c of 42. I’ve been doing low carb and managed to get it down to 38 which I didn’t think was that good for all the effort I made. I don’t have weight to lose either as I’m lower end of normal body mass. So my next question is I have been suffering with anxiety and my doctor prescribed me propanolol 40 mg a day and I’ve been taking this for 2 months now but I’ve been reading lots of things online saying it’s a terrible drug that will cause diabetes! I’m so scared of taking it now as my last hba1c was 40 as I had had covid and was eating more carbs also. Now I’m back to low carb but scared the propanolol will give me full blown diabetes!!! Has anyone got any experience with propanolol raising blood sugars?????? I’m feeling like what’s the point to me even bothering with low carb if my medication is going to cause it anyway
There are many medications which can affect blood glucose but Dr Google suggests that propranolol actually decreases blood glucose and warns of low blood glucose in people taking blood glucose lowering medications.
So every reason to continue with your current dietary regime.

I’ve been taking it for years and i take 40mg 3 times a day. It doesn’t affect your blood sugars and doesn’t make them higher or lower. There is a warning in the packet that you might not notice when your blood sugar is low, but that’s not a concern for you being prediabetic, and I find I get hypo warning signs anyway they’re just different.

Hope you are reassured @Gowest12

Do speak to your Dr if you are concerned about any potential side effects from medications you have been offered. They will have access to reliable sources of information and up to date research 🙂

Hope you are reassured @Gowest12

Do speak to your Dr if you are concerned about any potential side effects from medications you have been offered. They will have access to reliable sources of information and up to date research 🙂
Thank you. I was concerned as a few online articles on google suggested that propanolol can indeed raise glucose as well as cause hypos but I was more worried about the raising sugars since I’m trying to get them down!!! But thank you for your help

I’ve been taking it for years and i take 40mg 3 times a day. It doesn’t affect your blood sugars and doesn’t make them higher or lower. There is a warning in the packet that you might not notice when your blood sugar is low, but that’s not a concern for you being prediabetic, and I find I get hypo warning signs anyway they’re just different.
Thank you for this. It was because I came across a few online articles stating that the older style beta blockers like propanolol and metropolol can actually increase blood sugars too. Because of some effect on the pancreas and insulin. So I got worried thinking all my efforts will be for nothing of the tablets increase blood glucose. So you haven’t noticed any increase from them??

Thank you for this. It was because I came across a few online articles stating that the older style beta blockers like propanolol and metropolol can actually increase blood sugars too. Because of some effect on the pancreas and insulin. So I got worried thinking all my efforts will be for nothing of the tablets increase blood glucose. So you haven’t noticed any increase from them??
No I have taken both bisoprolol and Propanalol and frequently use continuous glucose monitoring. Never seen any impact at all.

Hi I have been on propranolol for over ten years and no mention of this, even went into remission while on it, managed significant weight loss with it, relapsed a bit weight wise due to other medical issues but now back loosing weight while on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back