Prediabetes after Gestational and PCOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlyemms

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi all

I have had PCOS since I was 16 and been following a lot GI diet since I was in my mid 20s. Despite this I still struggle with my weight and after having my baby in Jan (having had gestational diabetes) my fasting blood glucose has never gone back to ‘normal’. I flagged this to my GP in Feb but because I have PCOS they said they can’t prescribe Metformin and it has to be a gynaecologist. The gynaecologist is making me start from scratch and prove I have PCOS before proceeding which includes an internal ultrasound I really would rather not have. I don’t understand why I have to be diagnosed again or why I can’t be treated for insulin resistance without having to have a vaginal ultrasound! It feels really unfair, I just want to try and help my poor body out, I’m doing all I can diet wise etc. I’ve had symptoms of insulin resistance for over a decade hence a low GI diet ( I pee profusely after any meal with carbs or any sugar and I am thirsty all the time) but it wasn’t until I had gestational diabetes that I had a monitor etc and could truly understand what was going on. GPs seem very reluctant to listen to anyone with PCOS which drives me crazy as it impacts on so much of the body and could save the NHS a fortune if managed early on but I’ve had it 22 years and never had anyone offer any treatment or advice! Anyway… What can I do? If I didn’t have PCOS surely the Gp would have to help me?

If you were diagnosed with PCOS aged 16, why/how on earth does your NHS record not show that? - how do they diagnose it anyway?

At the time I had blood tests and a pelvic ultrasound but not an internal one. It should be on my records and also it’s been on all my pregnancy documents and they were happy to take my word for it then. It makes no sense.

Is yours a group practice? Could you contact the practice manager?
Otherwise perhaps your area NHS to make a pointed enquiry about the motives of your GP in wishing to spend out for a rediagnosis.

Just wondering - isn't it best to check there's nowt else going on, occasionally? Hate to say this out loud, but how would anyone know they had eg ovarian cancer? or eg endometriosis? Fibroids?

Just wondering - isn't it best to check there's nowt else going on, occasionally? Hate to say this out loud, but how would anyone know they had eg ovarian cancer? or eg endometriosis? Fibroids?
I was wondering that. Maybe they're just wanting to confirm the diagnosis and make sure nothing else is being missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back