Pre jabbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamppir8

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Well tried it today, sat and waited for insulin to kick in half hour, hour, hour and half, two solid hours till downward movement and I ate breakfast. Novorapid? What's rapid about it? No wonder I'm peaking at 15 to 20 2hrs in then back down again in another 2 hrs ready for next meal. Rang diabetes nurse, gonna ring me back "some time" they only available 2 days a week....

Attachments

• 20221018_121932.jpg
    20221018_121932.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 14
Blimey would be on floor by 1 hour never mind 2 using novorapid.

Made switch to fiasp 3 years ago, it's faster acting but not by much but duration is shorter, unlike novo where it was still active at 4hr mark.

Hope you get some answers from nurse.

I find NovoRapid and Humalog work differently depending on how high I am and breakfast is a particularly tough one to bolus for. Luckily, I work from home so I can be flexible with my meal times.

My standard pre-bolus time with NovoRapid or Humalog is 30 minutes for breakfast, but if I am already high (with a Dawn Phenomenon rise), it can be over an hour before I'm back at my target blood sugar for eating breakfast (5.5 mmol/L). Yesterday I ended up with closer to a 2 hours pre-bolus (I'd slept in a bit so had more Dawn Phenomenon to deal with).

Because of this long breakfast pre-bolus time with Humalog and NovoRapid, I requested some Lyumjev (like Fiasp). That should cut down on the time I spend waiting for my blood sugar to come down. Fingers crossed.

I typically found that I needed 75 mins prebolus time at breakfast with Novo(not so)Rapid if I was in range, but longer if I was above range and yes it could be 2+ hours if my levels were high to start with. Other times of day it was usually just about 30 mins if I was in range but longer if my starting level was high. With Fiasp I usually need 45mins prebolus time if I am in range at breakfast, so a bit quicker but not what I would call fast, and 20 mins the rest of the day unless my levels are low (4-5) and then I usually don't need any prebolus time, but it depends what I am going to eat. If it is fast releasing then 5-10 mins, if a bit slower, like my cheese and apple lunch today, then I inject and eat straight away, unless my starting levels are above 8, and then I wait till they come down to 5-6 before I eat. Keeping premeal levels below 8 really helps to prevent those long waits for food.

I had the same with Novorapid. For breakfast I would wait at least an hour, if higher than 12 I could be waiting 2 plus.

Since Fiasp, I hypo if I take it and don't have breakfast in 25 minutes.

On Novorapid if I was above 12, or higher and took a correction, it wouldn't do anything in the first 2 hours, not even level off, and sometimes I would wait 3 and then take more, and then obviously it would start to work and I would hypo.

Fiasp is a dream compared to it, and my suggestion would be, based on my own experience ask if you can change. I wish I had asked sooner.

I had the same with Novorapid. For breakfast I would wait at least an hour, if higher than 12 I could be waiting 2 plus.

Since Fiasp, I hypo if I take it and don't have breakfast in 25 minutes.

On Novorapid if I was above 12, or higher and took a correction, it wouldn't do anything in the first 2 hours, not even level off, and sometimes I would wait 3 and then take more, and then obviously it would start to work and I would hypo.

Fiasp is a dream compared to it, and my suggestion would be, based on my own experience ask if you can change. I wish I had asked sooner.
This has me soooo looking forward to cracking open my first pen of Lyumjev next week. :D

Breakfast is a tough one for Humalog/NovoRapid to handle for me, even though I only have piece of toast and a bit of fruit.

This has me soooo looking forward to cracking open my first pen of Lyumjev next week. :D

Breakfast is a tough one for Humalog/NovoRapid to handle for me, even though I only have piece of toast and a bit of fruit.
Same now off to collect me fisp

I’m another who finds Novo notso Rapid, especially at breakfast time, and especially especially if I’m high to start with. And even more if my liver is in one of those moods where it dumps glucose gleefully as I get up.

Would be worth running the experiment again a few times until you find your average timing. Today might have had other diabetes randomness going on?

My experiments showed me that for me the ‘right‘ delay varied significantly for different meals. If I prebolus more than 3-4 minutes before evening meal I can crash while I’m still eating. And this on a day when I might need 30-60 minute prebolus at breakfast!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back