Pre diabetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertieboy

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Pronouns
She/Her
Just been diagnosed as pre diabetic , with lack of info from drs , so trying to get my head round it all , if t2 diabetic then you are looking at levels around meal times and spikes , if pre diabetic I assume it’s not so much that or I would have been given info on this , is it more about eating better to get your general levels down rather than around meal times

Just been diagnosed as pre diabetic , with lack of info from drs , so trying to get my head round it all , if t2 diabetic then you are looking at levels around meal times and spikes , if pre diabetic I assume it’s not so much that or I would have been given info on this , is it more about eating better to get your general levels down rather than around meal times
Welcome to the forum.
Prediabetes is just a designation given when your HbA1C is between 42mmol/mol and 47mol/mol above that the diagnosis would be one of diabetes. It is a wake up call to do something about your diet as it is all carbohydrates which convert to glucose which your body is struggling to metabolise.
So yes it is about meal times as what you eat and how much that meal increases blood glucose will increase your general blood glucose level.
Many find it useful to test their blood glucose with a home monitor to identify what foods they tolerate but also which they do not in the portion they have. Keeping before eating levels to between 4 and 7mmol/l and no more than 8-8.5mmol/l after 2 hours will give a good indication that blood glucose levels will be overall good.
If prediabetic reducing the portion size of high carbohydrate foods like potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals and cutting out cakes, biscuits and sugary drinks including fruit juice and basing meals on meat, fish, cheese, dairy and vegetables and salads is likely to be sufficient and getting more exercise if you can as will losing weight if you need to.
Have a look at this link for some good explanation and some menu ideas.https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back