pre diabetic reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annette&Bert

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was just curious hence my question. I had a visit this week from my cousin who told me a visit at his doctor’s surgery recently and blood test had shown him to be pre diabetic. His reading was 9.5. I am confused I would have read that number as diabetic, not pre diabetic. He is of slim build and aged 64, two years ago he suffered from pancreatitis.

Does this figure not suggest he is actually in the diabetic range?

I was just curious hence my question. I had a visit this week from my cousin who told me a visit at his doctor’s surgery recently and blood test had shown him to be pre diabetic. His reading was 9.5. I am confused I would have read that number as diabetic, not pre diabetic. He is of slim build and aged 64, two years ago he suffered from pancreatitis.

Does this figure not suggest he is actually in the diabetic range?
Without knowing the units and what sort of test was done it is hard to make out what this means.
Was it an HbA1C ? the number could then be in % in which case he would be very much in the diabetic zone the threshold is 6.5%.
If it was a finger prick test, then if fasting then it is high and would point to needing to have an HbA1C done to confirm as the max you would expect is no more than 7mmol/l not as high as 9.5mmol/l
If it was a finger prick and with a short time of eating then that could well be just normal as even people without diabetes would have that level.
You could ask him for more detail but if he has had pancreatitis then he could well have diabetes.

sorry I have no idea my cousin just told me it was doc who said he was 9.5. I tested my cousins wife with a finger prick odly enough she was 9.5mmol I didn’t test my cousin. I remember last year my hba1c result was 6.3 the nurse said I was almost pre diabetic whereas the months prior I had very high numbers so that was good news. I know right now my numbers are not good. My DN only uses the old system if numbers.

I agree I have no idea , I mentioned to her once before because I had to convert the old numbers to the new - pain. She seemed quite proud that she still used the old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back