Pre diabetic friend often falls asleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny105

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
This is question from a friend. She is pre dibetic , doesnt follow a very clear diabetic diet.and is probably 2 -3 stone overweight. When together last week she asked me if she had fallen asleep during an evening meeting. She had, and does, at most of the meetings. Is there a connection between falling asleep post evening meal . If there is I feel i know her well enough to say something, tho she may not take it on board I guess

This is question from a friend. She is pre dibetic , doesnt follow a very clear diabetic diet.and is probably 2 -3 stone overweight. When together last week she asked me if she had fallen asleep during an evening meeting. She had, and does, at most of the meetings. Is there a connection between falling asleep post evening meal . If there is I feel i know her well enough to say something, tho she may not take it on board I guess
It would not be unusual if somebody had eaten a heavy carby meal for their blood glucose levels to be high, if she is prediabetic then her body will have reduced ability to cope with it so she may well be sleepy. But even somebody not diabetic may do that.
If she is not too careful with her diet then she may have crept into the diabetic zone so she may be wise to get her HbA1C checked again if it was a while ago since she last had a test.

Yep! and it's why a lot of t2s get eg neuropathy, retinopathy etc so comparatively quickly after their diagnosis with T2, cos really, they've had diabetes for a good many years but simply haven't noticed.

I suspect that many type twos lack the initial insulin response after eating, so the glucose in the blood increases more rapidly and we get sleepy - I have experienced exactly that every time my GP pushed me to eat more carbs on their print out diet sheet but was told it was because I had eaten too much - even when I was weighing out the food and reducing a little each day.

Meals can make people sleepy (the image of a snoozing parent/grandparent after a big Sunday lunch will be familiar to many), but it could be a cause for concern for your friend - because tiredness and fatigue can also be symptoms of high BG levels.

It does sound like it might be worth asking for an updated A1c to see if things have changed?

I fall asleep at lease three times a day usually after meals it a right pain.

I frequently fall asleep during, not always after food, and sometimes after exercise. I was concerned my HbA1c might be rising, but in fact the opposite was true. My dad always had a snooze every afternoon, and he was not diabetic. Neither is my friend who enjoys a nap each day. So I guess for some it may just be how you are made

Don't get good sleep at night then inevitable your likely fall asleep any other time, more so after eating & feeling content.

When kids were little got by on 5 hours sleep for years except one day on weekends, could fall asleep on washing line back then understandably, late father could fall asleep anywhere.

This is why I was eventually diagnosed, I always was exhausted and fell asleep regularly, also had high bp and low haemoglobin, low folate so maybe a checkup would be the way to go.

Whilst some people do seem to fall asleep after meals, I would be very worried if it was happening to me.
There are a number of reasons why this may be happening to your friend @Jenny105
I would recommend you suggest a check up with her doctor to check it out, especially if they have not been the type of person to do this isn the pst. It is not necessarily a result of getting old.

Thanks for the helpful replies . I now recall she was been falling asleep at this meeting prior to lockdown. I now know she is 80 so praps evening meetings are too much for her. She does talk about her pre diabetes so I'll ask her when she last had a test. Pre lockdown I believe. She does discuss some of her diet. Her sourdough bread from local baker is something I had to give up. It gave me higher readings. Shes given up ''puddings'' but has fruit instead. BUT maybe seeking a retest might be her best root.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back