Pre diabetic and tingling/shooting feelings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krista

Pronouns
She/Her
Hi all,

I've been referred to a vascular surgeon but I'm confused. I've just been told that I'm pre diabetic so I have to keep my blood sugar levels down. But for the last two months or so I've had numbness in feet and sometimes my arms, plus shooting pains and tingles right from the tips of my fingers to the back of my legs to the tips of my toes. I'm assuming I have clogged arteries but I don't understand if the pre diabetes has anything to do with that?

Thanks.

Edited to add: I keep worrying that my blood isn't going to pass through my veins and I'll have a heart attack.

Hi @Krista, what’s your HbA1c score. Pre-Diabetic is up to 48, above that it’s diabetes.
I’m pre at an A1c of 44 and I’m trying to control by diet.
I suspect the effects of blood glucose on veins and arteries would need to be sky high to cause heart attack. It’s the blockage of capillaries that leads to complications, such as in the retina, kidneys and nerves.
Your Dr should be able to do a med review and arrange tests.

Definitely get the tingling checked out thoroughly, it may very well have nothing to do with diabetes (especially not pre-diabetes). I had numbness, tingling and pains well before I developed diabetes, and it was concluded that it was most likely not related to the diabetes. It was likely nerve damage from a previous condition.

If you are prediabetic I doubt that has anything to do with it. As someone else said I think you would have to be diabetic with very high levels for quite a while for that to happen.

It is best to get it checked as it could be something else. I get tingling occasionally but not severely enough or often enough to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back