Pre Diabetic and confused!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisT69

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi
I’m 54 and found out that I was Pre-diabetic in Oct 23 with a level of 44.
I’ve had no support from the GP.
I’m very active, go to the gym 3-4 times a week for strength and cardio training.
I’m finding it very difficult to find consistent advice regarding carbs. I’ve tried cutting them out but my energy levels drop and I find the gym sessions harder and now I’m nervous to eat them in case things get worse, so I find myself in a bit of limbo!
I’d like to monitor just how I’m reacting to foods so could anyone recommend the best monitor to use please?

Many thanks

Hi
I’m 54 and found out that I was Pre-diabetic in Oct 23 with a level of 44.
I’ve had no support from the GP.
I’m very active, go to the gym 3-4 times a week for strength and cardio training.
I’m finding it very difficult to find consistent advice regarding carbs. I’ve tried cutting them out but my energy levels drop and I find the gym sessions harder and now I’m nervous to eat them in case things get worse, so I find myself in a bit of limbo!
I’d like to monitor just how I’m reacting to foods so could anyone recommend the best monitor to use please?

Many thanks
Welcome to the forum
You are in the middle of the prediabetic zone so some modest modification in your diet should be all that is needed to prevent creeping up and getting it down a bit. I suspect you have gone a bit over the top with reduction in carbs especially as you are pretty active. It really is just a reduction in what I call 'empty' carbs like sugary foods and drinks and reducing portion size of some of the higher carb foods like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread and breakfast cereals and replacing with more protein and healthy fats together with veg and fruit like berries.
Have a look at this link which is low carb designed to reduce blood glucose and lose weight if needed so you may get some ideas from there but bearing in mind you are only prediabetic not over that threshold. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Amazon have a good deal on a GlucoNavii monitor at the moment which includes 100 strips and lancets (which many reuse) for £23 (update it was actually only 50 strips)

Last edited:
Hi
Thank you so much, that’s the most concise advice I’ve been given!!

You sound like you are similar to me (apart from going to the gym). I was also told that I was in the prediabetic range and had limited support from my GP. I cut out obviously sugary foods and high carb foods and for about two weeks it was hard going, but I now feel much more energetic.
I used a LibreLink 2 sensor for a few weeks (you can get the first one free for a trial) and monitored the effects that different foods (and exercise) had on my blood / sugar levels and the actual levels themselves. I am slowly but surely figuring out what diet works for me whilst bring down my blood / sugar levels.

I hope this helps!

I’m a bit of a gym-mer (is that a word) and Im just getting back to low carb after letting it drift and gaining some weight. ( was pre-diabetic about 3 years ago and put it into remission with low carb/ high fat) I noticed yesterday I hit a bit of a wall while running compared with normal but I have found in the past that my body does get used to low carb quite quickly. I just slowed a bit, drank some water and got through it. I aim for about 80 90 g carbs a day in the week and maybe up to 120 at the weekend . I dont eat at all before gymming just some good coffee with a generous slosh of milk. I cant really advise you, we’re all different but I do find my body is pretty good at adjusting to things but it takes a bit of time. Also be mindful that you may need to drink more fluid and maybe add some salt to your diet when you reduce your carbs.I hope you find a good strategy for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back