Pre-diabetes

Steve1956

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi I'm Steve just been told I have Prediabetes hoping for lots of tips on Reversing this..long road ahead but I'm looking forward to the challenge

Hi I'm Steve just been told I have Prediabetes hoping for lots of tips on Reversing this..long road ahead but I'm looking forward to the challenge
Hi, Steve. Welcome to the forum. If you have a diagnosis of prediabetes you're 'at risk' not Type 2, so you need to change that on the Relationship to Diabetes section on your account details so that you get the right advice.

Do you know your HbA1c?

Last edited:
Hi Steve, the good news is you have a very good chance (>95%) of reversing it by dietary changes and whatever exercise you can manage. Prediabetes means in all probability that you need to get your waist down a few inches and get back into better shape all round.

Diet's the key. Here are three links I like:
- https://www.lowcarbfreshwell.com/documents/8/Freshwell_Red_Amber_Green.pdf
- https://phcuk.org/wp-content/uploads/A_5_page_low_carb_diet_leaflet_Unwin_2021-converted.pdf
- What should we eat? https://www.zoeharcombe.com/2021/08/what-should-we-eat/

Hi, Steve. Welcome to the forum. If you have a diagnosis of prediabetes you're 'at risk' not Type 2, so you need to change that on the Relationship to Diabetes section on your account details so that you get the right advice.

Do you know your HbA1c?
Not sure what HbA1c is Martin but I was given a number of 47 is that significant to HbA1c?

Not sure what HbA1c is Martin but I was given a number of 47 is that significant to HbA1c?
That's your HbA1c.
42-47 is 'at risk' or 'prediabetic', 48 and above is diabetes, so you're at the top end of pre.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum
When I got my diagnosis I looked at my foods and reduced the amount of carbs I ate. I did a combination of buying lower carb options, and eating smaller portions of carby foods.
Foods to eat smaller portions of include bread, cereals, rice, pasta, potatoes, and items with flour in (biscuits, cake etc).
You don't need to completely exclude all of those foods, just aim to reduce the amounts.

Just remember its not just sugars affect blood sugar, it's carbs as well. Since sugar is a carb you can look at the nutrition info on the back of a packet - focus on the 'per 100g' info and check the carbs there.

I have to disagree with your forecast - eating low carb sorted out my full on type 2 in 6 months and my HbA1c went from 91 down to 41 in 6 months and it is 43 now after almost 8 years and I have reached 73 years old.
If you are in the prediabetic range you can select your targets - either reducing your total intake of carbs by reducing portion size or by excluding/swapping some high carb foods for lower ones.

Like @Drummer I got my BG back into normal range, in my case in 5 months, and we both started from an actual T2 diagnosis and HbA1c levels massively higher than yours. Cutting back on carbs, being more active and losing some weight (if needed) should be enough to turn things around for you. It worked for me, as it has for many others.

Back