Pre diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBeresford

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I have just had an average blood sugar result of 44, I am a bit shocked as I have been on the 800 diet since January and am only 9 lbs above ideal weight (having lost more than 10% of my body weight). Although I had bloods done in January the blood sugar test was not done, so I have nothing to compare it with. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is my initial diagnosis I was phoned by the nurse last night. I was on the 800 diet because I am quite small and was slipping into the obese category, 800 gives me a steady weight loss of about 1 lb a week.

It is quite possible my result would have been a lot worse prior to this diet. I will probably ask for a repeat test in 3 months and see if I am improving.

Hi @CBeresford, welcome to the forum. It's good to hear you're staying on top of everything, and have a diet plan in place. By making changes to diet, increasing physical activity and losing weight, about half of type 2 diabetes cases can be prevented or delayed in some people.

I will suggest having a look at this link on our website, it discusses prediabetes / being at risk of diabetes. It includes some stories from people also at risk: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/preventing-type-2-diabetes/prediabetes.

I'm sure our knowledgeable forum members will jump in soon to give more advice!

It is quite possible my result would have been a lot worse prior to this diet. I will probably ask for a repeat test in 3 months and see if I am improving.

Seems Sensible plan.

When wife was told she was prediabetic sure her Hba1c was 46, but like you had fair bit of weight to lose.

After year or so her weight dropped by 5 stone & Hba1c dropped into non diabetic range & has stayed there since, didn't do 800 diet but opted for slimming world instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back