Pre Diabetes - Face to Face Group or Oviva App

Status
Not open for further replies.

AppleADay2010

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All

my GP has offered me the option of attending a pre diabetes support group (NHS DPP) or using an app called Oviva. Does anyone have any experience of them? I am unsure which to choose. Thanks

The NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme was piloted, rolled out and then extended over recent years (which suggests it had reasonable successes?)

I’m not sure of anyone here has tried Oviva, or can comment on the contents?

If you type oviva into the search box (magnifying glass symbol, top right of page, should open a drop down menu) several threads come up where people mention it, you could have a look to see if anything there is useful, @AppleADay2010 .

Just searched the forum for Oviva, and it looks to be a variant of the Newcastle diet (a short period of very low calorie to lose visceral fat)

@Kreator discusses it here:

Edit: cross-posted with @Robin!

Last edited:
Yep, Oviva was what I was offered through the NHS as part of an initial 5000 pilot (The NHS has several providers) - Believe it's being rolled out to more & more areas now as well...

Great results for me, and Oviva were great in terms of support for the whole year it lasted - it gave me a real insight into food, as well as support throughout

...Nothing to lose really!

Thanks all for your support and information, really helpful. I will look at the threads, Debs

Told my wife about work of Newcastle Diet when she was diagnosed prediabetic, in that losing weight, particularly visceral fat around organs can reverse diabetes.

She didn't do ND but instead went on a calorie controlled diet with a local slimming group, result was she lost 5 stone & all bloods since have been normal, that's over 5 years ago now so you have nothing to lose doing that course.

Hi All

my GP has offered me the option of attending a pre diabetes support group (NHS DPP) or using an app called Oviva. Does anyone have any experience of them? I am unsure which to choose. Thanks
Hi, I am doing the Oviva app, I originally opted for face to face but the only groups offered were in Plymouth (I live in Somerset, it would have been quicker getting to London!). It is OK, but if you are like me and do your research then you probably won’t learn anything new. My coach introduced herself via the text messaging tab but I think I had already made the necessary changes, she won’t be in touch now for another 10 weeks. Basically you track what you eat and complete learning modules online. You have a daily to do list which you choose for yourself. Some things I do once a week like blood pressure and some I do every day like tracking meals. There is a peer group network which became available to me a couple of days ago which I think will be good but it is early days yet. Any questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Just searched the forum for Oviva, and it looks to be a variant of the Newcastle diet (a short period of very low calorie to lose visceral fat)

@Kreator discusses it here:

Edit: cross-posted with @Robin!
I am on Oviva and told my coach I generally follow the 800 calorie a day diet and my coach told me they do not recommend very low calorie diets. They recommend the healthy eating plate I was sent a diet sheet from Portsmouth NHS trust which was 1200 calories a day but seemed to be quite high in carbs, so I questioned this and was told I could do low carb i.e under 130 gms a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back