PRE DIABETES DIAGNOSIS

SueD

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Just had a diagnosis of “ pre diabetes “ ....HBA1C of 43 ...bit of a shock ....not sure how to deal with this ....initial thoughts are ...panic ,depression and utterly scared of this situation developing into diabetes .

LucyDUK

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
HI @SueD

Welcome to the forum, you’ve come to the right place.

I know it’s easy to say but don’t panic, 43 is only just over into pre-diabetes, although it is still elevated so no room for complacency either.

Some risk factors for increasing the chance of going on to develop diabetes are those you have some control over (diet, lifestyle, weight) and others you don’t (age, ethnicity, family history). So doing what you can about those “controllable” factors is the best advice.

There’s plenty of people here who are or who have been in your position and managed to lower their HbA1c and keep it low, and no doubt one of those far more expert than me will be along with some tips in no time and if you have any questions, ask away! :)

Alannah

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi I’m sure a Pre/T2 will be along with some experience in a bit but just to say welcome, this is a lovely and knowledgable community. It’s understandable to be a bit shocked. Well done for joining us and try not to worry too much, but rather concentrate on what you can do to lower your a1c.

SueD

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
HI @SueD

Welcome to the forum, you’ve come to the right place.

I know it’s easy to say but don’t panic, 43 is only just over into pre-diabetes, although it is still elevated so no room for complacency either.

Some risk factors for increasing the chance of going on to develop diabetes are those you have some control over (diet, lifestyle, weight) and others you don’t (age, ethnicity, family history). So doing what you can about those “controllable” factors is the best advice.

There’s plenty of people here who are or who have been in your position and managed to lower their HbA1c and keep it low, and no doubt one of those far more expert than me will be along with some tips in no time and if you have any questions, ask away! :)
I am not overweight ...9st 8lbs am 5ft 2ins ...no advice at all from GP over the phone other than avoid cakes biscuits bread and pasta blood test in 12 months and that was it ....my Dad was type 1 insulin dependant since his 30’s and brittle diabetic so I know just what to expect if these numbers are nit controlled ....sadly he passed away with this disease ....not good with no support from the GP I’m just left to my own devices and am struggling to know what’s good bad or indifferent !

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just had a diagnosis of “ pre diabetes “ ....HBA1C of 43 ...bit of a shock ....not sure how to deal with this ....initial thoughts are ...panic ,depression and utterly scared of this situation developing into diabetes .
You're only just into pre-diabetes territory so you should be able to bring your level down with some simple lifestyle changes around diet, exercise and (if needed) weight loss, so you could see this as a wake-up call. Diet will have the most immediate effect. My sister, who's the same age as you, also had a pre-diabetes diagnosis recently and after cutting a load of things out of her diet, eating more healthily, losing some weight and walking for exercise every day she's now back into normal territory.

Many people diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, rather than pre-, have managed to get back into normal territory having had much further to go than you do, so don't despair. You'll find all the help and support you need on here and on the website in general.

Martin

SueD

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
You're only just into pre-diabetes territory so you should be able to bring your level down with some simple lifestyle changes around diet, exercise and (if needed) weight loss, so you could see this as a wake-up call. Diet will have the most immediate effect. My sister, who's the same age as you, also had a pre-diabetes diagnosis recently and after cutting a load of things out of her diet, eating more healthily, losing some weight and walking for exercise every day she's now back into normal territory.

Many people diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, rather than pre-, have managed to get back into normal territory having had much further to go than you do, so don't despair. You'll find all the help and support you need on here and on the website in general.

Martin
Thank you Martin ....I have kind of comfort eaten while in lockdown ...cakes biscuits chocolate which are my weakness ...I don’t drink or smoke and am not overweight but don’t do much exercise

LucyDUK

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I am not overweight ...9st 8lbs am 5ft 2ins ...no advice at all from GP over the phone other than avoid cakes biscuits bread and pasta blood test in 12 months and that was it ....my Dad was type 1 insulin dependant since his 30’s and brittle diabetic so I know just what to expect if these numbers are nit controlled ....sadly he passed away with this disease ....not good with no support from the GP I’m just left to my own devices and am struggling to know what’s good bad or indifferent !
Sorry to read this @SueD - such a familiar story sadly! I am sorry to read you lost your dad to complications of diabetes too.

Lots of people find it helpful to find out how different foods impact bgl by testing before and after eating and looking at what foods cause rises and which don’t so much. With pre-diabetes the chances of your GP providing testing equipment are slim to none, but if you are able to fund a monitor and test strips yourself you may find it a really useful way to establish what changes are most needed to your diet. So not to lose weight just to understand what your body is able to process more efficiently.

Increasing activity levels is likely to help too, not running marathons or anything but walking every day and for some after a meal is particularly helpful.

Marmite

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hello Sue. I was exactly as yourself 5 months ago, completely confused with conflicting advice from various sites . I too was 83, slightly underweight. I have been on one of these nhs courses for pre-diabetes. If you read my latest input (marmite) today 11th Aug, you may find it interesting. I havn't had any replies yet as only just posted and I expect many may disagree with the comments, but this isn't me talking - it's my mentor from the course so I think we should listen. sorry Sue, not 83 - that's my age, I meant 43.

Last edited:

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My Hba1c has been 42 for some time, but I am coming at it from the other direction, full on type two and Hba1c of 91.
By eating a low carb diet I am fine.
I would add though that I am a very boringly ordinary type two, so my return to normal was just like getting into a lift and pressing the button for the ground floor.
Maybe take a long look at what you eat. I have to say that I have eaten low carb for many decades when I could get away with it in the face of my doctors always knowing what was best for me even though it flew in the face of all the evidence. Low carb always made me feel well and energetic.
If you do not get any benefit from low carb, when it usually makes an ordinary type two perk up almost at once, then further tests might be advisable, just in case you are not ordinary.

SueD

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
My Hba1c has been 42 for some time, but I am coming at it from the other direction, full on type two and Hba1c of 91.
By eating a low carb diet I am fine.
I would add though that I am a very boringly ordinary type two, so my return to normal was just like getting into a lift and pressing the button for the ground floor.
Maybe take a long look at what you eat. I have to say that I have eaten low carb for many decades when I could get away with it in the face of my doctors always knowing what was best for me even though it flew in the face of all the evidence. Low carb always made me feel well and energetic.
If you do not get any benefit from low carb, when it usually makes an ordinary type two perk up almost at once, then further tests might be advisable, just in case you are not ordinary.
Thank you for your reply ...I don’t understand your reply about ordinary or further tests ...at he moment I feel dreadful sick and have dropped four pounds since eliminating my cakes biscuits and chocolate and eating a supposedly healthy diet

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Feeling dreadfully sick doesn't sound reassuring - are you able to test your blood glucose?
Are you thirsty and tired?
My suspicion is that you are not an ordinary type two but someone who should have further tests to check if you are in fact some other variant.

Madeline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello Sue. I was exactly as yourself 5 months ago, completely confused with conflicting advice from various sites . I too was 83, slightly underweight. I have been on one of these nhs courses for pre-diabetes. If you read my latest input (marmite) today 11th Aug, you may find it interesting. I havn't had any replies yet as only just posted and I expect many may disagree with the comments, but this isn't me talking - it's my mentor from the course so I think we should listen.
Marmite lovely, in the nicest possible way, you are on a forum full of experienced diabetics who have heard just about every possible ridiculous thing a diabetes nurse/consultant/GP can come out with. We’ve had to fight for correct diagnoses and medication, and have a wealth of experience behind us. This forum will be an invaluable resource to you, just don’t automatically believe everything someone tells you over one online chat.

If I’d done that I’d be following the outdated dietary advice I was given, not be testing, and blindly swallowing the medication they put me on. The fact that the diet sent me sky high and the medication had zero effect on me was picked up purely because everyone here told me to test, them told me to go back to my consultant and point these things out. Without the meter results to back me up there is no way they’d have believed what I was telling them because they are still firmly stuck in adult onset = type 2 territory.

Marmite

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Thank you Madeline, I thought there would be a difference of opinion.
I really appreciate your comments, also to the gentleman who says all sugar is bad - whether added or not. I think my mentor is saying she agrees with both of this advice if I was type 2, but pre can be attacked a little differently - although with caution.
Presumably that is why no one has commented on the sugar advice on labels.

Madeline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
The sugar advice isn’t really relevant tbh. Carbs are carbs, be they simple, complex, natural, or added. They all result in a BG rise, and they’re all a problem if you’re diabetic. Your body doesn’t care if it’s an orange, a glass of coke, or the finest organic honey, they’re all sugar.

Pre diabetic simply means you’ll likely be type 2 if you don’t address the issue. Fat isn’t the enemy, carbohydrates are; same with high cholesterol, cut down the carbs and your cholesterol levels fall.

Felinia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I remember the shock I first felt when told I was pre-diabetic, and that there was no support or information at the time, apart from being told to cut down carbs and lose weight. I was OK for a few years, got complacent and ended up Type 2. Eating the right food and counting carbs really is the best way to go. I also suggest you look at the Learning Zone. With an HbA1c of 43 hopefully all you will need is sensible tweaks to reduce your levels.
I don't know if it will be possible in these times, but I asked to be re-tested after 3 months so I could see if my measures were working - they were and it was a real psychological boost. Otherwise a year is a long time to wait to know how you're doing. I learned to stop beating myself up if I had a slip - nobody's perfect.
And I looked for alternatives, like low carb bread, zero carb pasta alternatives like Naked Noodles, cauliflower/broccoli rice, courgetti, boodles, squash sheets (instead of lasagne). Testing before and 2 hours after each meal will soon teach you which foods affect you and which don't. I can get away with a small portion of porridge or slice of low carb bread, but potatoes and apples are lethal for me. We are all different. If you are stuck indoors and like cooking there are loads of new and exciting recipes to try out.
Exercise is tricky at present - I miss my 4 sessions a week in the pool. But there are things you can do at home - Pilates, yoga or chair based exercises. And walking / gardening. Pre-diabetes and Type 2 are very different from Type 1 that your father had, and medical knowledge and advice greatly improved. Best wishes