Pre diabetes diagnosis

Bowbell

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Pronouns
She/Her
Hello
I have just been told that I am pre-diabetic are there are specific threads anyone can recommend please? It’s a bit of a shock but makes sense due to my weight gain. It’s spurred me on to make lifestyle changes so that’s a good thing. Looking forward to getting any advice people can offer. My aim is to try and lose at least 1.5 stone

Hello
I have just been told that I am pre-diabetic are there are specific threads anyone can recommend please? It’s a bit of a shock but makes sense due to my weight gain. It’s spurred me on to make lifestyle changes so that’s a good thing. Looking forward to getting any advice people can offer. My aim is to try and lose at least 1.5 stone
Welcome to the forum
Your diagnosis is a bit of a wake up call to make some like style changes to prevent slipping through the diagnostic threshold of 48mmol/mol. So depending on how close you are to that will indicate how much work you need to do from some modest changes to something a bit more substantial.
Have a look at this link for some good explanation, menu plans, recipes for some ideas for a way forward. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
This is an approach which many have found successful in both losing weight and reducing blood glucose. Whatever you choose have to be enjoyable other wise it will not be sustainable, it needs to become a new way of eating for life.

Welcome to the forum
Your diagnosis is a bit of a wake up call to make some like style changes to prevent slipping through the diagnostic threshold of 48mmol/mol. So depending on how close you are to that will indicate how much work you need to do from some modest changes to something a bit more substantial.
Have a look at this link for some good explanation, menu plans, recipes for some ideas for a way forward. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
This is an approach which many have found successful in both losing weight and reducing blood glucose. Whatever you choose have to be enjoyable other wise it will not be sustainable, it needs to become a new way of eating for life.
Hi thanks for your reply my bloods were 43mmol/mol the link is useful I will definitely use some of these ideas. I have signed up for the online prevention programme which I have heard good things about and definitely want sustainable change. The menopause has not helped me my whole metabolism has changed and I have just read on my nhs app that I have gained 25% body weight in 10 years. Never been classed as overweight until now! Quite scary

Hi @Bowbell welcome to the forum,
as your Hba1c was 43 I’m thinking you only just are in the pre-diabetes category with a few changes and if you’ve already got a plan to loose some weight that’s a good idea and like many others I’m sure you will see your levels normalise, you will find so much support and help from so many on here

Hi @Bowbell and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry about the news you've received! I'm sure some users will come along to share what has helped them, but the general consensus is that going low carb or adapting a Mediterranean diet as well as some form of exercise (more frequent walks, an active hobby) seems to 'get the job done'. If you're interested, we do have ideas for meal plans on our website as well as a recipe hub, but if you're feeling overwhelmed, I'd suggest having a look at our Learning Zone as well, which can help you make sense of things and maybe shed some light on the situation.

@Bowbell - 43 is just a step over the line into 'at risk' so, as others have said, with some tweaks to your diet and by losing some weight you have a good chance of making the drop back into normal levels. Some have done so from an actual diabetes diagnosis and from very high numbers, often in 3 figures. Welcome aboard, and keep us posted.

I'm a bit late to the party but here goes...

Hello there @Bowbell and welcome to the forum....so sad to read about your pre-diabetic diagnosis..I completely felt the same when I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic so you're not the only one to feel like this.

Back