Pre Diabetes and H Pylori

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzs

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi everyone diagnosed as Pre diabetic last Tuesday my hba1c level was 43, in September it was 38 so this has come as a shock.I am very slim and active and weigh just over 8st, i do have food allergies so my diet is restricted to a degree but i do eat healthily, i really dont want to loose anymore weight.
I just wondered if anyone else was diagnosed with pre diabetes after having H Pylori infection, i have had a nasty bout of this starting January of this year triple therapy antibiotics failed and i was given another heavy duty dose of them this month, i wondered also can antibiotics give false positives results, i had my bloods done including hba1c whilst on antibiotics, My Gp Practice is clueless one Doc says should not of had blood work done whilst taking antibiotics and another says its fine to do so.
So i thought i would ask you lovely people what your thoughts are on this

Welcome to the forum
It is not necessarily the antibiotics that increase blood glucose though they do in some people, it is the infection that can do it.
I am taking Clarithromycin for a toe infection and it says in the leaflet that it is used for the treatment of H. pylori in conjunction with amoxycillin and omeprazole. Though I'm sure there are other regimes. Have you been retested to check the antibiotics haven't worked.
Doctors used to take a lot of persuasion to even test for H. pylori
A pre diabetes diagnosis is a bit of a wake up call to make some dietary changes in particular reducing carbohydrates which all convert to glucose, doing that might also help with your infection as bacteria just love a sugary environment.
A few substitutions for high carb foods should help, this link may give you some ideas https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/.
Likely you will only need to make some modest changes as you are in mid range of prediabetic (42-47mmol/mol)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum
It is not necessarily the antibiotics that increase blood glucose though they do in some people, it is the infection that can do it.
I am taking Clarithromycin for a toe infection and it says in the leaflet that it is used for the treatment of H. pylori in conjunction with amoxycillin and omeprazole. Though I'm sure there are other regimes. Have you been retested to check the antibiotics haven't worked.
Doctors used to take a lot of persuasion to even test for H. pylori
A pre diabetes diagnosis is a bit of a wake up call to make some dietary changes in particular reducing carbohydrates which all convert to glucose, doing that might also help with your infection as bacteria just love a sugary environment.
A few substitutions for high carb foods should help, this link may give you some ideas https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/.
Likely you will only need to make some modest changes as you are in mid range of prediabetic (42-47mmol/mol)
Thank you, I was re tested and it showed I was still infected so I have just finished another round of treatment, so I will have to wait another 6 weeks for another h pylori test.

Thank you, I was re tested and it showed I was still infected so I have just finished another round of treatment, so I will have to wait another 6 weeks for another h pylori test.
Lets hope it has done the trick this time. Your HbA1C is just on the first rung of the ladder and your infection may just have been sufficient to push it over as well as the stress of the treatment and presumably symptoms which couldn't have been pleasant.

It is said that you need the antibiotic and proton pump inhibitor for a fortnight. However ISTR that Patti - @Pattidevans needed treatment for longer than that to completely eliminate hers.

Oh - and why not speak to doc before the 6 weeks and request another at the same time, or wait for the test result and if it's negative for the H Pylori, try and get another HbA1c 3 months-ish after the negative result. Thing is when there's practically anything else up with the body at all, it normally very often also has the side effect of increasing blood glucose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back