Prague

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaffp

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm off on a trip to Prague next weekend and I'm sure I came across somewhere that gave you helpful phrases/translations for diabetics travelling abroad but can I find it - not on your nelly. Can anyone point me in the right direction - funnily enough Czech isn't a language I know anything about!

Can't help, sorry, but wanted to say have a lovely time. Prague looked beautiful on a recent episode of 'Coach Trip' !! 😛

xx

ditto i cant help but hope you have a wonderful trip kaff x

Pivo = beer, I think; can't remember any other vocabulary from my trip to Czech & Slovak Republics a few years back, but used Lonely Planet guidebook, which had a good food vocab section - bread & potatoes always easily available as carbohydrate; soup if you want low carbohydrate food. Diabetes UK produce guides to each country - you need to email helpline and ask them to email you the relevant country / countries guides, but I haven't seen Czech guide, so don't know what it includes.
There's some introductory information about country at http://www.lonelyplanet.com/czech-republic

Last edited:
You're going to love that place, it's one of my favourite cities. You'll find most folk speak English pretty well so it may not be an issue, but the Czech word for diabetic is cukrovka. Here's a link to the free translator I used.

I'm off on a trip to Prague next weekend and I'm sure I came across somewhere that gave you helpful phrases/translations for diabetics travelling abroad but can I find it - not on your nelly. Can anyone point me in the right direction - funnily enough Czech isn't a language I know anything about!

Hi,I thought DUK had something like that, but can't find it on their site. Prague is beautiful, I've been there a few times, but pre-diabetes. There is a lot of English spoken there though, so you shouldn't need to rely on your Czech!

otsq.jpg

I think they used to have a different language in each issue of Balance magazine, so maybe you're thinking of an old issue of that?

Prague's lovely, enjoy the buildings and try a few beers, but steer clear of the stag parties! (Unless you're going as part of one, that is!)

I knew you lot wouldn't let me down - unfortunately the pivo won't help - I've always felt that one of my (many) major faults was a lack of liking beer, it hasn't stopped me trying to develop the taste though😛!! I am looking forward to the food & the sights though and the opportunity to use my good camera unhindered by kids - oh yes I'm going without the man and without the kids!! Theoretically a guiding trip - but we aren't taking any of the girls so it's really a long girly weekend with some mates - I can't remember the last time I enjoyed one of those:D!!

Hi,I thought DUK had something like that, but can't find it on their site. Prague is beautiful, I've been there a few times, but pre-diabetes. There is a lot of English spoken there though, so you shouldn't need to rely on your Czech!

Just an idea... Perhaps a phone call or an email to Diabetes UK might be useful...

I hope you have a great time.
Prague is a great city.
Be sure to check out the museum at the end of wenceslas square as well as the castle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back