Practical question for insulin pen users

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi all,

My partner has just started taking insulin and he was wondering what people did with the needles if they inject while out and about. Does he need to take his sharps bin to work for example so that he can dispose of his needle at lunchtime? Or would it be ok to take a little Tupperware and then put the needle in the sharps bin at home?

Thanks,
C

I just leave it on the pen and put it in the sharps bin at home.... but then i am rather naughty and don't change my needle every time. o_O

I just leave it on the pen and put it in the sharps bin at home.... but then i am rather naughty and don't change my needle every time. o_O
For some reason, neither of us even considered this but it seems super obvious now you’ve said it! Thanks!

I have a needle clipper on script and don't even get a sharps bin at all.
Once full it can be disposed of in household waste (as its a sealed unit).
So I clip the needle, put on the small needle cap then put on the clear cap and unscrew and take it home to dispose of with the rest of the needleless parts in a sealed container (shampoo bottle was suggested to me but I use a coffee tin) in the normal bin.
Its what my area does instead of sharps bins.
You can get teeny sharps bins too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a needle clipper on script and don't even get a sharps bin at all.
Once full it can be disposed of in household waste (as its a sealed unit).
So I clip the needle, put on the small needle cap then put on the clear cap and unscrew and take it home to dispose of with the rest of the needleless parts in a sealed container (shampoo bottle was suggested to me but I use a coffee tin) in the normal bin.
Its what my area does instead of sharps bins.
You can get teeny sharps bins too.
Thanks - that’s really useful!

I put it in my bag, or in the pencil case I keep my pen in, or if I’ve only taken my pen I’ve usually put the needle on in advance and just leave it on

If he needs more than one jab during the day & doesn't want to do a "Rebrascora"™, an empty test strip pot will securely hold at least a couple with their caps, or more without.

I put it in my bag, or in the pencil case I keep my pen in, or if I’ve only taken my pen I’ve usually put the needle on in advance and just leave it on
Thanks both of you!

I tried similar using a spare test pot but my employer insisted I had a small sharps bin, we did work on a site supporting the public with medical needs so had the hse visiting frequently, I got one on eBay cheaply and took home to tip into my bigger bin at home each weekend, paid around £5 and still in use now six years on.

When out I would stick the pen in my pocket along with a handful of needles (front pocket for those), once I'd used one I'd pop both lids back on and stick it back in my pocket. I never had one come apart in the time they remained in my pocket.

When I was at uni I used throw the used ones in a pocket of my messenger/record bag, I only once in quite a few years had one come apart (and stab me in the bottom!) Edit: I hadn't bothered to empty that pocket out for many months, so don't worry!

Last edited:
I would not recommend the needle clipper unless they have changed.
The clippers I used when I was first diagnosed were not able to clip all the way down to the plastic. Even though there was only a millimetre remaining, it was enough to cause some nasty scratches.
Like others, I usually keep the needle on the pen. If I am out for long enough to need to change the needle, I use a small pot and decant when I get home
Likewise, when I go away, I never ever ever take a sharps bin. I fill a small disposable water bottle with sharps (needles and lancets) and decant into my sharps bin when I get home.

yeah there's still a teeny bit but I've never once caught myself on it and I always pop the 2 caps back on them anyway.
(have stabbed myself with unclipped needle tho wups)

I’m the same as @rebrascora and use the same needle up to three times, so i don’t have that problem. We are very naughty girls! 😉 But if you’re a paragon of virtue, do as @SimonP said, put the plastic lid on and put it in a pocket etc. No harm will come to you.

I have always clipped and never used the cumbersome yellow boxes or had to carry something to put used needles in. The BD Safe Clip was fine, however they have discontinued it. I have contacted Diabetes UK to find out more and to lobby BD to resume production, or to find an alternative supplier.
Maybe you could also contact Diabetes UK about this, then they are aware of this problem.

I used to use a 'Pringles' tube and cut a cross in the plastic lid. Makes an excellent temporary sharps bin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back