Powerade Zero - new sports drink

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw it advertised on the telly and wasn't sure.

I'm not an expert in nutrition or sports, but what's the point of having a sports drink without sugar in it? I thought that you drank sports drinks to gain energy, which was typically given to you as sugar. Or is it all about replenishing lost fluids? If so, am i just being cynical or have coca-cola managed to re-brand water?

Rachel

You'll not the only cynical one...

Sports drinks are two fold, they rehydrate and supply glucose for engery in theory...

Unless this is a product for posers, track suit bottle of sports drink in hand did they or didn't they go to the gym?????

I'm not an expert in nutrition or sports, but what's the point of having a sports drink without sugar in it? I thought that you drank sports drinks to gain energy, which was typically given to you as sugar. Or is it all about replenishing lost fluids? If so, am i just being cynical or have coca-cola managed to re-brand water?

Sports drinks usually contain the trace elements and salts that are lost through sweating during exercise which can lead to cramps unless replaced and you generally recover more quickly afterwards if you have one. Haven't touched them since being diabetic though, so this is a welcome innovation I think - hopefully they will hand them out as an alternative drink in events like marathons etc. 🙂 I've still got the free full-sugar ones I got from last year's GSR in my fridge!

Lucozade also do a lucozade light now Alan, with just 50 calories in it.

i must look out for this new drink.

Lucozade also do a lucozade light now Alan, with just 50 calories in it
It has 2g carb per 100ml. I was very impressed with the lucozade team at the Windsor Half marathon who went off to find me some rather than the 'normal' variety that they were giving out as freebies.
Only problem was that it wasn't much use when the start was delayed and I ended up with a hypo while hanging about waiting to start 😱
( advice to others; don't enter a race that starts at 1pm, I couldn't work out when to eat and got it very wrong. I still got going and finished though)

I found the full sugar lucozade very usefull the 2 years i cycled 25 miles for diabetes uk.
Not one hypo or hyper. so you obviously lose sugar levels when exercising.

Sports drinks usually contain the trace elements and salts that are lost through sweating during exercise which can lead to cramps unless replaced and you generally recover more quickly afterwards if you have one. Haven't touched them since being diabetic though, so this is a welcome innovation I think - hopefully they will hand them out as an alternative drink in events like marathons etc. 🙂 I've still got the free full-sugar ones I got from last year's GSR in my fridge!

i use the powerade "normal" drinks when exercising. As i like the hydration effects and more importantly for the slow release glucose for the exercise. I believe it releases slowly from the stomach unlike things like lucozade which are much faster.

Been a bit trial and error how much i need, depending on the exercise, unless i get it really wrong i can stay quite steady throughout my exercise. Personally i wouldnt use the sugar free one, have seen them advertised i would just drink water so no point.

I would point out I now keep my pump on during exercise, as i have found the constant insulin more effective for a good workout than when i reduced my insulin for exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back