Potatoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi All..

Following on from the thread pizza...I decide to research potatoes for info to..Most of you I'm sure will already know what I am about to type...but I thought it might be useful...

POTATOES:

Potatoes, sweet potatoes, taro and yam belong to this family and food group. The carbohydrate content of raw potatoes is absorbed slowly, but boiling causes the cell walls to burst. This allows the carbohydrate to be absorbed more quickly from the intestines. The carb content of mashed potato is absorbed as quickly as pure glucose. This can give a quick rise in BG after the meal..but also may result in hypoglycemia 2-3 hrs later. But by adding a small amount of oil, butter, polyunsaturated or monounsaturated margarine to the mash potato will slow down the glucose peak. If you change the surface of a potato for example...by frying, deep frying or storing it in the fridge, the glucose will be absorbed more slowly than if you were to eat it freshly boiled. Because of the way crisps are made and the high fat content the glucose contained is absorbed very slowly.

Heidi
xx🙂

Thanks Heidi , very interesting , even for a Low Carber like moi 😉 I might just jump off the wagon tomorrow( later today) and have Potatoes 😱 I havent had a Potato for such a long time I wonder if I still like them LOL :confused:

Enjoy it AM :D

I don't mind cutting out potatoes, I only like roasted and mashed really. actually mashed potato and quorn sausages mmm...

hehe :D

Thanks for the info Heidi. I love reading your pieces of research. I have such a thirst to understand more and more so your posts like this and the pizza one are great!

More! More! More! 🙂🙂🙂

Hi All...

I have decided to research more food......🙂....Pasta, Bread, Veg, Fruit, Meat, Chicken and Fish...Sweets and Chocolate...

I will post all my findings.....🙂

Heidi
xx🙂

Thanks for the useful information. One aquaintance told me that diabeteics must never ever eat potatoes in anyway shape or form, but couldn't say exactly why.

Enjoy it AM :D

I don't mind cutting out potatoes, I only like roasted and mashed really. actually mashed potato and quorn sausages mmm...

hehe :D

Same here Twim , roasted , mashed or chips 😱😱

Hi All...

I have decided to research more food......🙂....Pasta, Bread, Veg, Fruit, Meat, Chicken and Fish...Sweets and Chocolate...

I will post all my findings.....🙂

Heidi
xx🙂

Please do Heidi , I love all your posts about food . 😉

Thanks for the useful information. One aquaintance told me that diabeteics must never ever eat potatoes in anyway shape or form, but couldn't say exactly why.

I have never been told that.....and I personally could'nt think of a reason as to why not to eat them.....But I'm going to research as to a possible reason...I could see a problem may be if we ate them at every meal during the day..if for example they were chips etc...But like anything in moderation as part of a healthy balanced diet.

Heidi
xx🙂

Hmm I think it must be just because of the Carbs in them , I dont really see it as being any other reason :confused::confused::confused:

Hmm I think it must be just because of the Carbs in them , I dont really see it as being any other reason :confused::confused::confused:

Some complementary medicine practitioners see potatoes as 'nightshade' vegetables, and therefore bad for you - others are aubergines and tomatoes. I think sweet potatoes are seen as OK though.

Some complementary medicine practitioners see potatoes as 'nightshade' vegetables, and therefore bad for you - others are aubergines and tomatoes. I think sweet potatoes are seen as OK though.

Wow really ?! , I agree with the Aubergines ewww but I love tomatoes :D Hmm people keep telling me to try sweet potatoes , are they sweet though? ewww if they are .

Wow really ?! , I agree with the Aubergines ewww but I love tomatoes :D Hmm people keep telling me to try sweet potatoes , are they sweet though? ewww if they are .

OOOOO...sweet potatoes go lovely in a curry....:D
Aubergines are wrong......and far to bland...😡
Tomatoes...mmmmmm..

Heidi
xx🙂

sweet potato mash is yummy!! it is kind of sweet yes. A bit like swede or Turnip. Yeah Aubergines are evil, they shouldnt be called a vegetable 🙂

sweet potato mash is yummy!! it is kind of sweet yes. A bit like swede or Turnip. Yeah Aubergines are evil, they shouldnt be called a vegetable 🙂

The Americans seem to think that's where you get eggs from..

eggplant-o-lantern.jpg

silly americans 😉

I didnt actually mean aubergines, I got them confused with that other vegetable... ive forgotten what it's called haha. Not sure ive ever had an aubergine?!

Hi All..

But by adding a small amount of oil, butter, polyunsaturated or monounsaturated margarine to the mash potato will slow down the glucose peak. If you change the surface of a potato for example...by frying, deep frying or storing it in the fridge, the glucose will be absorbed more slowly than if you were to eat it freshly boiled. Because of the way crisps are made and the high fat content the glucose contained is absorbed very slowly.

Heidi
xx🙂

Thank you for posting that info Heidi. Seems reducing weight and reducing blood sugar levels don't always go hand in hand!!

Following on in the 'sweet potato love' vein, roasted sweet potatoes are gorgeous and they ARE sweet, and baking it like a jacket potato is lovely too.
For anyone who's not tried them before, remember they take a lot less cooking than a 'normal' potato.

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back