• Please Remember: Members are only permitted to share their own experiences. Members are not qualified to give medical advice. Additionally, everyone manages their health differently. Please be respectful of other people's opinions about their own diabetes management.
  • Diabetes UK staff will be logging into the forum at various times throughout this Bank Holiday weekend, however, if you require emergency medical assistance or advice please call 999, or if it is less urgent then please call the 24 hour NHS 111 service on 111. Alternatively, please speak to your GP or healthcare team.
  • Learn more about joining the Diabetes UK Support Forum team here: https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/volunteering-opportunities-why-dont-you-join-us.112862/

Potato scallops - carbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Chip Shop Potato Scallops - carbs

Does anyone know how many grams of carbs there would be in one chip shop potato scallop?

Last edited:
Thank you 🙂! 27.3g of carbs in one chip shop potato scallop.

Do they weigh 100gms 😱 That serving size was for 100g not one scallop.

OMG - Tinned roe and a couple of scollops ........ and some batter bits .......

dribble .......

One scollop on the scales weighs about 80gms 😱.

Well that's almost 22 carbs which is 1/2 a unit of insulin difference to many. Perhaps some of your hypos are due to not being to accurate with the carb counting! 🙂

Perhaps some of your hypos are due to not being to accurate with the carb counting! 🙂

I had 2 potato scallops 😱 and 4u of QA insulin

Levels after tea:
19:03pm - 7.9 - 4u QA with tea
20:22pm - 6.5 - aft tea
21:19pm - 6.7 - aft tea
22:51pm - 5.2 - bed

I had 2 potato scallops 😱 and 4u of QA insulin

Levels after tea:
19:03pm - 7.9 - 4u QA with tea
20:22pm - 6.5 - aft tea
21:19pm - 6.7 - aft tea
22:51pm - 5.2 - bed

Good numbers! Did you have anything before bed, as you were only 5.2? I probably would if 5.2 at just under 4 hours post-injection, as novorapid can last 5 hours for me, so would have expected to fall maybe a further 1.5 mmol/l by midnight (on your timings above).

Good numbers! Did you have anything before bed, as you were only 5.2? I probably would if 5.2 at just under 4 hours post-injection, as novorapid can last 5 hours for me, so would have expected to fall maybe a further 1.5 mmol/l by midnight (on your timings above).

Thank you! Yes I had a sandwich (2 x rnds) plus a biscuit.
The bread I'm now having but just at suppertime is the 50/50 which the dietician suggested when I saw her the other day. She said it raises levels more slowly and then drops them more slowly. On the packet it says 16.5g per slice. So I would have had about 43g incl the biscuit - hope I've got my calculations right 😱.

Thank you! Yes I had a sandwich (2 x rnds) plus a biscuit.
The bread I'm now having but just at suppertime is the 50/50 which the dietician suggested when I saw her the other day. She said it raises levels more slowly and then drops them more slowly. On the packet it says 16.5g per slice. So I would have had about 43g incl the biscuit - hope I've got my calculations right 😱.

That is quite a lot of carbs, and considering that you dropped into the 2s by the morning it does suggest your plan of reducing lantus by another 4 units is a good one 🙂

That is quite a lot of carbs, and considering that you dropped into the 2s by the morning it does suggest your plan of reducing lantus by another 4 units is a good one 🙂

Be careful, I'm catching you up :D.

You learn something new every day. I'd never heard of a potato scallop (had heard of scalloped potatoes but that's different)
Wiki tells me
Potato scallops originate from northern England and are common in fish and chip shops there. This variant is normally a thick slice of potato, dipped in batter and fried, with no additional flavouring added except salt and vinegar
were they right?

You learn something new every day. I'd never heard of a potato scallop (had heard of scalloped potatoes but that's different)
Wiki tells me

were they right?

Yes they were. I grew up thinking scallops were battered potato slices and became very confused in later life at all these recipes that were using 'scallops' and trying to make out they were shellfish! 😱 😉

You may note I call them scollops. That's what they're called in the Black Country; ergo, it IS. LOL

A scallop is what your mother crochets onto the edges of a baby's shawl, or round the bottom of your new angora bolero to wear with your best summer dress on Sundays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back