Posting Insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tintinis99

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hi my son is a type 1 diabetic currently in Milan with work . He’s 21. He has gone for 3 months and obviously taken all his supplies and insulin with him . He’s home for Christmas but is now saying he doesn’t think he’s going to have enough insulin to last till then . My question is does anyone know if there is any way I can post/courier some to him . Obviously it has to go airmail and cabin not hold due to temp control. Does anyone k ow if there is any special service I can use to post it , I have just returned from visiting him and don’t want to fly over again just to drop it off . Any ideas welcome . Thanks

Presumably he has travel insurance either thorough his employer or privately to cover medical emergency so should be able to obtain some insulin there.

He has his GHIC card and insurance via work but doesn’t want to involve work . Would just seem so much easier if I could just get some of his to him via some means .

He has his GHIC card and insurance via work but doesn’t want to involve work . Would just seem so much easier if I could just get some of his to him via some means .
Has he even asked if he can buy it over the counter? We lived in Naples for almost 18 months (before I was diabetic) but I found the Italian "constraints" were entirely different to those things we take for granted here in UK. If his medical needs are just insulin, that doesn't sound so difficult and life in Milan is extremely civilised!

It’s not usually permitted to send drugs internationally. Surely the easiest thing for him todo is to obtain a local prescription? Milan is a very international city and if he does not speak Italian, then it should be possible to locate an English-speaking practice.

Prescription medicines are banned by Royal Mail, so if you’re asked what’s in your parcel, which they often do these days, what are you going to say?

The easiest thing is for him to get a prescription in Italy. He can show them his remaining insulin and Google beforehand in case the insulin names vary slightly in Italy.

It’s a bit late for him now, but if he’s returning to Milan after Christmas, then make sure he takes double what he thinks he’ll need - double the amount of insulin, strips, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back