Post transplant diabetes

Katherine129

Relationship to Diabetes
Steroid Induced Diabetes
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi everyone

Hubby had a kidney transplant at the end of March. At his checkup in the middle of July his blood tests showed a glucose level of 33. His fasting glucose on a finger prick was 15.

The renal consultant was not very helpful. He basically said - Here is a tablet. Eat less carbs. That was it as far as diabetes education went! Hubby had a tough time accepting it at first and went into a bit of a sulk although he is now engaging with better food choices again.

Thankfully I am a paeds nurse so have some idea about diabetes so not totally clueless.

Hubby is wearing a continuous glucose monitor so we can see what food impacts his sugars. Lots of trial and error! He has significantly reduced his carbs - switched to low carb bread and his sugars seem more stable although I hope we haven't cut them back too much.

He has been struggling with dizziness when he stands or stretches. Is this a sideceffect of diabetes? The renal consultant seemed very dismissive and his first appointment with the diabetes nurse is not for another 2 weeks.

Just feel like we have no support at the moment and have just been left to figure it out on our own with no guidance!

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Hoping to get many hints and tips from this forum

Sorry to hear about your husband's transplant and subsequent diabetes, but welcome to the forum. Those are quite high BG numbers but they're not HbA1c units. Has he been diagnosed on the basis of an HbA1c and, if so, do you know what his result was? Also, what medication has he been prescribed?

Welcome to the forum
I hope he feels better soon. Is it worth trying the local doctors surgery?

His diabetes developed within 2 weeks as his blood test from 2 weeks earlier showed normal glucose levels. Hba1c wasn't done as no-one expected his sugars to shoot up that high that quickly. He is having the levels checked at his next set of bloods in 2 weeks. The renal team wrote to the GP to ask that they refer to the nurse. It took ages for the letter to get through and the earlies appointment they could offer is 23rd August

He is on Metformin for his diabetes and a whole load of others (including steroids and tacrolimus) for his kidneys

Hi @Katherine129 , I'm sorry about your husband's diagnosis. You're an absolute star supporting him in all of this and seeking information on his behalf. If you're ever worried or unsure about things, do give our helpline a shout. They'll answer any questions or at least will steer you in the right direction. And as I always encourage - reach out here in the forum. Questions, worries, rants or victories - we're interested in all of it!

As for your meeting with the nurse, prepare some questions for them. I've seen a couple users say they've brought in a notebook to record all the information as there's likely to be a lot coming your way in the first appointments. It might be overwhelming, but just take it one thing at a time. Your husband will need to make sustainable changes and there might be some reluctancy to certain things but as other users will mention - the changes need to be enjoyable and something he can stick to for them to work.

He is on Metformin for his diabetes and a whole load of others (including steroids and tacrolimus) for his kidneys
Steroids have a reputation for raising BG while they are being taken, so it's possible that could account for his high numbers. Also, dizziness is listed as a common side effect of tacrolimus.

Metformin works by improving the way our bodies handle insulin and to be effective needs to be taken alongside managing carbohydrate intake - both sugars and starches. As has been mentioned, having some questions ready for the DN appointment, and writing down the answers, would be wise as there's a lot to take in.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome from me too.

Really sorry to hear your husband has developed diabetes since his transplant. Perhaps it will be transient if it is the steroids that are causing it unless they are likely to be a lifelong medication.
I wonder if the dizziness might be low BP? Is he on BP medication? Sometimes going low carb reduces BP too and if people are already medicated for high BP then they can become overmedicated for high BP because there BP has dropped as a result of dietary changes. Not sure if I have explained that well enough for it to makes sense, but it would be worth checking his BP when he feels dizzy like that.

So sad to read about your husband's diabetes diagnosis @Katherine129....and all this after your husband's transplant operation as well.

My prayers are with you.

Back