post prandial blood suger

Status
Not open for further replies.

msbhatti

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi ,

I know 2 hours after post prandial should be 140 (7.8) or less for normal blood suger level.

how much is the normal blood suger range when we test anytime before 2 hours post prandial (like 1 hours or 1 and half hour after eating food).

please guide. thanks

I have found that my post prandial peak on average occurs much closer to one hour than two hours although it varies. So for me my 1 hr and 1.5 hr readings would usually be higher than my two hour reading.

I have not seen any guides for "normal range" specifically for 1 hr and 1.5 hr, but I always use the " 7.8 or less " as a guide for those post-prandial readings too.

Hi ,

I know 2 hours after post prandial should be 140 (7.8) or less for normal blood suger level.

how much is the normal blood suger range when we test anytime before 2 hours post prandial (like 1 hours or 1 and half hour after eating food).

please guide. thanks
That is a bit less than the guidance suggested here which is no more than 8-8.5mmol/l
Testing before that can give more random results as different components of your meal can be metabolised at different rates so 2 hours is the suggested time. People with a Libre can obviously monitor whenever they want to get a profile of how their body has handled the meal.
Testing before 2 hours can give a pessimistic view of how the carbs have been tolerated.

Hi ,

please guide. thanks

I've read a few studies that have shown that BG hits the peak around 45-60 minutes after eating and generally peaks around 7.8 but will go over if the meal is very high in carbs. Between 2-3 hours it should fall back to pre-meal levels. Rolling hills rather than mountains, as the non-diabetic pancreas can release bucklets of insulin to stem the tide of glucose.

(The meals used in these experiments are considered 'normal', I've seen people use CGMs after a MacDonalds and see far higher rises - although it always comes back within 3 hours.)

The 2 hour post meal test is not looking for the peak of the food spike which as mentioned above usually occurs earlier but will depend on the type of food eaten and the person's digestive system. The 2 hour test is just looking to show that your levels are recovering in a timely manner and not staying too high for too long.
Diabetes is complicated enough without looking for extra parameters to measure, so I would suggest you stick to monitoring at the 2 hour post prandial point and not worry about whatever happens before that time.

The 2 hour post meal test is not looking for the peak of the food spike which as mentioned above usually occurs earlier but will depend on the type of food eaten and the person's digestive system. The 2 hour test is just looking to show that your levels are recovering in a timely manner and not staying too high for too long.
Diabetes is complicated enough without looking for extra parameters to measure, so I would suggest you stick to monitoring at the 2 hour post prandial point and not worry about whatever happens before that time.
That makes sense , in some web sites it mentioned random blood suger (not 2 hour PP) for non diabetic is upto 11.1 - does not matter when and what someone eat. when we test the glucose level it should be below 11.1 (200).

thats why i wanted to check the peak after eating.

IMHO it's all about clearance and production rates. Clearance rate is generally slower than the production rate, so it goes up and reaches a point where clearance is balancing production (And our bodies help out by delaying digestion in the gut) and for most meals this seems to around 8. T2s have a far slower response (Insulin resistance + lack of insulin and a broken 'first phase') so levels rise far higher and this takes longer to clear.

Even a huge ingestion of glucose in its raw form as part of an oral glucose may send a non-diabetic into double figures, but it'll be down after two hours. The kidneys also play a role in helping to clear glucose from the bloodstream when it gets high (Which is perfectly natural, but if it's happening constantly can be damaging.)

That makes sense , in some web sites it mentioned random blood suger (not 2 hour PP) for non diabetic is upto 11.1 - does not matter when and what someone eat. when we test the glucose level it should be below 11.1 (200).

thats why i wanted to check the peak after eating.
If you are prediabetic I think you would expect your level to be coming down more quickly than somebody who has a diabetes diagnosis as their ability to tolerate carbs is likely to be more compromised. The longer levels stay above 10, the more likely that glucose will be sticking to the red blood cells and potentially causing damage.

I think the ability to test so much and particularly with CGM, can create it's own issues of trying to establish what is normal and then trying to comply with that and worrying if you don't. My experience is that there is a huge range of "normal" and too much testing and setting of limits just encourages anxiety. When you have to manage diabetes with insulin, it makes you understand this and that targets need to be broad and realistic because there are so many things which affect BG levels that you can waste your life worrying about them and trying to control it too closely. Good enough is what the body generally works to, not precise targets, so my advice would be to stop trying to micromanage a bodily function (the balance of BG levels) which isn't designed to be micromanaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back