Post lunch testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahb83

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So diagnosis hba1c was 89 I lost 2 1/2 stone between then and the repeat test 11 weeks later down to 45 since then I’ve lost another 1 1/2 stone don’t get my hba1c repeated until end of feb (12 weeks from the last one) - had paprika rice cakes for lunch with corned beef and then some peanut butter test 2 hours later 6.6. Is that reasonable? Trying to decide what to cook for tea tonight x

What was your reading before it? But yes even without knowing your pre meal reading it is a fine reading xx

So diagnosis hba1c was 89 I lost 2 1/2 stone between then and the repeat test 11 weeks later down to 45 since then I’ve lost another 1 1/2 stone don’t get my hba1c repeated until end of feb (12 weeks from the last one) - had paprika rice cakes for lunch with corned beef and then some peanut butter test 2 hours later 6.6. Is that reasonable? Trying to decide what to cook for tea tonight x
Wow haven't you done well 🙂 That's a fantastic result weight loss and reading 2 hours after your meal. Well done 🙂

Congratulations on the terrific weight loss and HbA1c reduction @sarahb83

Broadly speaking I think the two most common approaches to BG checking on the forum are:

1. To use 2 checks, one just before eating and the second 2 hours after the first bite (some people prefer 1 hour). By comparing the two readings you can see how much, or how little, the meal has raised your levels. Ideally you’d want the ‘meal rise’ to be 2-3mmol/L or less. Or
  2. To aim for the old BG guidance numbers of 4-7mmol/L before meals, and no higher than 8.5mmol/L by 2hrs after eating
These are some who use a combination of the two, or other variants and strategies, but those are thought to be pretty good starting points on the forum.

Congratulations on the terrific weight loss and HbA1c reduction @sarahb83

Broadly speaking I think the two most common approaches to BG checking on the forum are:

1. To use 2 checks, one just before eating and the second 2 hours after the first bite (some people prefer 1 hour). By comparing the two readings you can see how much, or how little, the meal has raised your levels. Ideally you’d want the ‘meal rise’ to be 2-3mmol/L or less. Or
  2. To aim for the old BG guidance numbers of 4-7mmol/L before meals, and no higher than 8.5mmol/L by 2hrs after eating
These are some who use a combination of the two, or other variants and strategies, but those are thought to be pretty good starting points on the forum.
Having an absolute meltdown this morning my number before breakfast was 6.4 just waiting to retest but I’m absolutely gutted it wasn’t much more than that after a meal yesterday how on earth is it like that this morning

Having an absolute meltdown this morning my number before breakfast was 6.4 just waiting to retest but I’m absolutely gutted it wasn’t much more than that after a meal yesterday how on earth is it like that this morning
But that is perfectly fine - why would it not be - unless you had planned on eating something high carb?

No need to panic you are still in the range 4-7mmol/l before meals.
As explained in other posts as soon as you get up and start doing stuff your level can go up as your liver releases glucose to give you energy to start the day.
It can therefore be lower after low carb meals. If you have been active then your before meal could be as low as 5mmol/l so you are seeing an increase from your meal but still really good and within hoped for limits.

Just worrying that my next hba1c at the end of feb won’t be any lower than last time even though I’ve lost a further 1 2/2 stone. My best friend (since we were 4 so knows me very well) is an anaesthetist and often treats diabetic patients has said testing is just winding me up even more and I should just wait for my hba1c results cos he thinks I’m doing brilliantly but it’s not making me feel any less panicky

You really are doing great. I agree that testing can produce anxiety. However seeing improved results can bring an enormous sense of well being. Your numbers really are fine. Also worth a mention, hormones play a role . I have week or so where my numbers will be a little higher in the mornings compared to the rest of the month. Also level of activity I find can bump it up, if I lay in bed (chance would be a fine thing) I can stay pretty even, but rushing about with school runs etc can elevate my readings. Also not eating straight way can provoke a rise, but some find leaving eating till after foot on floor syndrome has passed more beneficial. It a bit of trial and error but worth the effort. For now you really don’t need to panic , easier said than done I know, but you are smashing it!

You really are doing great. I agree that testing can produce anxiety. However seeing improved results can bring an enormous sense of well being. Your numbers really are fine. Also worth a mention, hormones play a role . I have week or so where my numbers will be a little higher in the mornings compared to the rest of the month. Also level of activity I find can bump it up, if I lay in bed (chance would be a fine thing) I can stay pretty even, but rushing about with school runs etc can elevate my readings. Also not eating straight way can provoke a rise, but some find leaving eating till after foot on floor syndrome has passed more beneficial. It a bit of trial and error but worth the effort. For now you really don’t need to panic , easier said than done I know, but you are smashing it!
After breakfast reading only .1 difference - 6.5

After breakfast reading only .1 difference - 6.5
Well there you go another fabulous result 🙂
Give yourself a pat on the back and relax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back