Post Lunch Snoozing & Low Levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curdster

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Is it just me or does anyone else find that after waking from a nap after lunch that your levels are way lower than they should be 1 hour post lunch?
(Only happens at weekends as I think work would take issue with a post lunch snooze. They take issue if you have had breakfast before getting in!!!)

Wish I had the luxury of a post lunch snooze at weekends...

With the drop, are you more active or do you eat less at weekends? At least being more active or eating less might explain the drop.

Caroline

Nope, in fact probably less active in the mornings at a weekend. I have thought about the insulin tail but I normally have breakfast on a week day at 6:30 and 7:30 at a weekend, but delay lunch for an hour.
When I wake I have something to eat but it has no impact. i.e Wake with a BS of 3.5 and have 20grms in anticipation of afternoon activity, but then it does not move until about 5pm when my levels head north. It's almost like the sleep causes the insulin to react very differently.

Caroline

i.e Wake with a BS of 3.5 and have 20grms in anticipation of afternoon activity, .

3.5 is officially low, so 20 grams would bring you to normal levels........and then you have afternoon activity?

May be you need to think about adjusting your ratios for the weekend? I'm not sure exactly how you'd do this as there are lots here who are on insulin so would know more.

What about the time or times you inject your background insulin....

Some backgrounds peak, maybe the combination of a later peak of Quick acting combined with Long Acting..........

Just a theory............

I take my background at 11:30 each evening and have done for years. Given that I push lunch back 1 hour should not make any difference to the long acting should it? I wonder if it is due to not taking my usual walk to the train station each week morning so the breakfast carbs are not being used and therefore the insulin struggles more to bring the levels down 2 hours post, but is in fact still working on a higher tail then normal during lunch? either way I enjoy the snooze but hate the waste of an afternoon as never sure if and when any new carbs will take effect.

Hi Curdster.

I've found over the years that if I have a few bad nights and end up feeling like a zombie, that my BGs levels are a bugger to get up and then suddenly shoot up after a huge amount of extra carbs.
This hasn't happened for a while, but used to be a problem at work where I would often eat an entire kit-kat just so I could function.

Not sure if http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postprandial_dip explains anything. I often wondered if the body is trying to shut down due to weariness.

ROb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back