Post cataract op eye drops question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB2015

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have now read the PIL for the drops that I have been given for my eye after a cataract op this afternoon.
Does anyone have experience of these.

One is a corticosteroid. Are these likely to play havoc with glucose levels?

another says Before you use these talk to your doctor if you have diabetes
They knew about my Ti, but I will check tomorrow

So looking forward to taking the patch off tomorrow.
weird at present as glasses don’t fit over the shield I have to wear and I can’t see with my other eye without the glasses.

I’ve had to have steroid eye drops several times including after my cataract surgeries. I can’t emphasise enough the importance of taking them as directed so you don’t get post op problems with the eye. They have had effect on my BG levels but nothing too bad at all. Each time you put the eye drop in close your eye and press onto the corner of your eye nearest to the nose for a minute. This will minimise the amount going into your system which reduces the impact on your BG levels and maximises the impact of the drops on your eye. Make sure your hands are very clean each time you put in the drops.
Enjoy the better vision you will have when you take off the patch

No, they do not affect your blood sugars. Whatever you do do not not use them otherwise you will damage your eye.

Last edited:
No, they do not affect your blood sugars. Whatever you do do not use them otherwise you will damage your eye.

Did you mean to say DO use them or DON’T use them Sue?

Surely those who prescribe them will be aware of the person’s diabetes? And their eye health?

Did you mean to say DO use them or DON’T use them Sue?

Surely those who prescribe them will be aware of the person’s diabetes? And their eye health?
OOooops have edited.

SB2015 must use them.

“Whatever you do don’t not use them”

is such a quintessentially English form of words. Especially when it’s do do not not :rofl:

Had both eyes done over a decade ago. They have zero effect on BG but if you don't use them the potential infection will. I know someone who had a cataract done in January and did not adhere. The subsequent infection took till the end of May to clear with drops many times a day. In the early days of cataract surgery the failure rate was about 50% due to infection. Don't risk losing your sight in that eye!

Thank you all. I will definitely be doing as I have been told and it sounds like I can expect my loop to manage my levels.
They stayed at 7.6 throughly the op in spite of my anxiety. The other eye will be a breeze after that.
Thanks again.

If you chose to have your vision corrected it will take a few weeks to adjust to having normal vision in one eye and myopia in the other. I used to wear glasses for distance but no longer do. However, I did need reading glasses which I did not previously. Are they doing the other eye on the future?

I am having standard lenses. I have worn glasses for so long I am happy to continue to do so. I think I look really weird without them now, but then when I don’t wear them I can’t see what I look like. At the time when I just needed reading glasses, I found I never knew where they were, and I went for varifocals. Put on them on when I wake up. Take them off when I go to bed. Simples.
Next eye at the start of November.
It looks a VERY bright morning.
Loving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back