Possibly-interesting BBC article on CGMs for non-diabetic Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a way to improve our health?
Doubt it. It seems like the idea is to reduce "spikes", but there's not a whole lot of evidence that that'll have any impact. And the "insights" people seem to be getting (judging by a thread on Twitter by someone self funding a G7) are things like exercising after eating (like going for a walk) and eating more vegetables. I guess there's something valuable (and potentially motivating) in actually seeing the graphs for yourself but I doubt it's worth funding a CGM.

Well, if cgm companies make more money, perhaps they will have more for research, leading to better cgms for people with/ at risk of diabetes.

"Blood-sugar monitoring devices could soon be on the arms of millions of Americans after regulators cleared two new devices for use without a prescription. Is it a way to improve our health? Or is the data just another distraction?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1ddk1ddme5o
I prime example why non-diabetics shouldn’t mess with this stuff.
From the article;
“ In the middle of the night last June, Cindy Bekkedam woke up to the sound of an unfamiliar alarm. It was loud, like an emergency alert, and it was coming from her phone. More specifically, it was coming from a newly installed app linked to a glucose sensor embedded in her arm.
According to this app, her blood sugar had dropped to a concerning low while she slept, which had triggered the alarm.
“So I got up in the middle of the night and ate a granola bar,” she said.
Continuous glucose monitors (CGMs), which monitor glucose levels in real time, have been used by millions of diabetics for years. As a dietitian in Ontario, Canada, Ms Bekkedam had hers installed to better understand the technology for her patients with diabetes.
But her two-week trial became somewhat of a cautionary tale.
“I was freaking out,” she said. “I actually questioned, oh my goodness, do I have diabetes?”
She didn’t.”

We all know hypos are not generally a symptom of untreated diabetes. (Maybe reactive hypoglycaemia?)
Cindy slept on the darn thing.

Well, if cgm companies make more money, perhaps they will have more for research, leading to better cgms for people with/ at risk of diabetes.

Nah, it’ll be to line their own pockets. They’re making money off the worried well.

Higher demands in production? Could actually instil a lapse in QC. (Overtime, training finding new recruits on the “assembly line.” With over-reached targets.) A non-diabetic is probably more likely not to notice these factors when these factors manifest as opposed to an experienced T1. Making the brand no better than a current 30 quid “BG watch.” I would guess the job involves working in an ESD area.

"Blood-sugar monitoring devices could soon be on the arms of millions of Americans after regulators cleared two new devices for use without a prescription. Is it a way to improve our health? Or is the data just another distraction?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c1ddk1ddme5o

The over the counter FDA approved Dexcom was mentioned here too.

Plus there seems to be an overlap with the ‘Zoe’ thing, which gets rather mixed reviews and responses as to its usefulness on the forum.

Plus there seems to be an overlap with the ‘Zoe’ thing, which gets rather mixed reviews and responses as to its usefulness on the forum.

I just found 2 more? Why do the apps look cooler than Librelink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back