Possibly Daft Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Most of the members are aware my eye issues started very early after diagnosis, does anyone know if the ophthalmology department would have my pupillary distance information? xx

@trophywench optician said they dont keep it and it isnt routinely given on your prescription as they dont want you to shop elsewhere, I had look at the DIY but my mum isnt keen on a normal ruler and the type of PD ruler she'd feel more comfortable using I havent yet been able to find in the UK xx

Do you have one of those see-through plastic rulers? - a stiff one like you use for geometry at school, not a bendy one. That's what opticians have always used to measure mine, when going to a different one and ordering glasses. They give you a spot on the wall behind their head to look at, or ask you to sit straight and look em straight in the eye, while they measure the distance.

Plastic ruler and my partner, look straight ahead, and it's all good.

I used a pupillary distance app, a free one there’s a few, it works with you looking into your phone camera. The glasses I ordered seem fine.

We've done it several times, just using a clear plastic ruler.

If you want a specific ruler, there are several types. With a quick search I found:

In UK:

From China:

And Amazon:

This explains how to do it.

Zenni Optical are very good, for anyone curious about buying glasses online. We have used them several times.

Edited to correct first link.

20p plastic rulers work.
All you need to do is measure the distance between your pupils.
I also buy dive masks on line.
Glasses are fine, they will take your prescription as it is.
Bought mime for many years.
Goggles4u

Thanks guys, as I said my mum doesn't feel comfortable with using a normal ruler to do it and the one she feels she'd be more confident using I can't locate in the UK

@Flower I did see those apps but sadly couldn't find one that you could use without a card with a magnetic strip and my OCD means I have no card that I'd feel comfortable even holding let alone letting it touch my face :( xx

Can someone else help you measure or can you attempt it yourself by taking a photo or something?

Can someone else help you measure or can you attempt it yourself by taking a photo or something?
Bruce isn't keen on doing it at all and as I mentioned the only photo options need the use of a magnetic strip card which I can't do sadly xx

Bruce isn't keen on doing it at all and as I mentioned the only photo options need the use of a magnetic strip card which I can't do sadly xx
I meant just take a photo of the ruler method. It won’t be as easy/accurate as someone else reading it but better than nothing

This is what I would do....

Sit in front of the camera attached to my PC ot the one in my tablet in such a way that I could see the screen and put it on record. I would then take my ruler and hold it up in front of my eyes and fiddle about until I got the ruler horizontal and around the centre line of my eyes - all the time recording. After a bit I would review the recording looking for a frames or where every thing was in position and take a measurement from the ruler. Do it a couple more times, or look for more frames in the recording and take an average. I don't know what accuracy is needed but within a cm should be good enough.

Not something I would do for myself for the simple reason that my eyes can move about independently. When I look off centre one eye moves over but the other only makes a half hearted attempt to follow it and so I could get all sorts of readings.

Hope you get sorted @Kaylz , the app I used didn’t require any magnetic strip or anything touching my face it took the pupillary distance from me looking at my phone camera.

You can get someone to mark on your old glasses with a non permanent marker pen.
Stare straight ahead, then mark the centre of your pupil on the lense. You can take them off and measure yourself after.

Finally managed to get it out of the receptionist yesterday, said to her that it must be available somewhere even if it was the order for my last pair of glasses from there to which she told me it was private information! Even if it is it's MY information! Kept pushing telling her I couldn't come in but my glasses were needing renewed and I really needed the information so she begrudgingly told me what the optician had noted it down as, I know it's probably due to them not wanting me to go elsewhere but they haven't had hard cash off me personally in a long time as have bought frames online and used them and got free lenses, ridiculous the amount of agro that could have been saved if they had just told me on first request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back