possible Metformin complications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amarwa

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm having some problems with both bowel and bladder, and wondered if they might be connected to taking Metformin. Basically, something seems to be making my bowel open and make a movement , and its happening literally every few minutes. I get the sensation that the bowel is about to open, then it does, and i usually pass a puff of wind to relieve it. This then actually leaves a sharp pain in the anal area for about 15 seconds, I wait a few minutes and it starts all over again. also, i hazve trouble passing urine - i can do it sitting down, but the "pushing" motion once again opens the bowel, and i can only then pass the urine once that process has finished. I had this condition about 6 weeks ago, stopped taking metformin for about 2 weeks until i was able to resolve the problem by having an enema in hospital - basically, a good clear-out. I resisted going back on metformin, as i suspected that may be a cause, and the symptoms if this recent flare-up began about a week after i started on the meformin again. I've got painkillers, which help for about 4 hours at a time, but even then I can't sit comfortably as there is the sensation of "something" in the anal area. Has anyone experienced anything like this possibly caused by Metformin - I've stopped taking them again, but the problems still remain. Doctor is having me in for blood tests, but in the meantime I literally can;t function - not when you're bowel is wanting to make a motion every few minutes.

If you stopped taking the metformin, the problem might not be caused by the metformin, although an upset tummy is one of the side effects.

It is good you are getting blood tests done, but if you are not taking your medication, I think it might be better if you told your doctor. Hopefully the blood tests will rule many things out.

Just a suggestion, keep a diary of everything you eat and drink and how you are feeling. Sometimes the problems you are having are a reaction to something you are eating or to stress. It will then help you to see if a pattern is forming and will help your doctor to see what is happening.

I hope you feel better soon and get things sorted out. Don't feel you are being a pest to your doctor, he/she is there to help you, so go as often as you need to.

Hi many of us metformin takers call it metfartin as one time or another it has all caused us discomfort, dont feel like your pestering your doctor that is what he is there for, hope it all gets better for you x

take care.

I hope the tests show something - it must be really hard and you must feel chained to the house.

From what you say I would suspect something other than merformin as it was a couple of weeks after you stopped the first time that you got relief from the enema. The Metformin should have been well out of your system by then. Steffie is right though in that metformin can cause lots of gastro problems. The Modified Release version (glucophage) tends to cause less trouble.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Yes, I had similar discomforts and was put on the slow release version (Glucophage SR) instead. It's helped a good deal but I still get the gas problem, I don't think it matters which form you take, gas production goes with all of them, perhaps we could suppoly the natural gas industry and make ourselves a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back