Possible loss of Libre on NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merryterry

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My Diabetic Nurse has told methat there is discussion going on that they are talking of discontinuing prescribing Libre CGM's on the groundsof price and going on to a cheaper manufacturer. Has anybody else heard tis?

Libre is priced pretty competitively and so I would be surprised at this. I think the Dexcom One is the only other option as far as I am aware now and I wonder if they are contemplating a swap to that although I think perhaps someone hasn't factored in the cost for the transmitters for the Dex One if they think it is cheaper, unless the NHS is in the process of negotiating a better deal. Some people find the Dexcom One better than Libre, others don't. I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet and as some people react to the different adhesives etc, I imagine you could make a case for keeping the Libre which I am sure will still be available to prescribe on the NHS, but like all medication, the local prescribing pharmacist at your surgery probably shops around for the cheapest deals on all prescribed items which is why sometimes we get our needles changed to a cheaper brand or Metformin brands change etc.

I think the Dexcom One is the only other option as far as I am aware now and I wonder if they are contemplating a swap to that although I think perhaps someone hasn't factored in the cost for the transmitters for the Dex One if they think it is cheaper, unless the NHS is in the process of negotiating a better deal.
One cost list I saw showed the Dexcom One as £10 a year cheaper than Libre 2 (including transmitters).

My Diabetic Nurse has told methat there is discussion going on that they are talking of discontinuing prescribing Libre CGM's on the groundsof price and going on to a cheaper manufacturer. Has anybody else heard tis?
No. I think there are cheaper alternatives (slightly, anyway) I thought they just weren't as good. Maybe one ICS might try and introduce one which wasn't used nationally to save a bit, but it feels like a rather marginal saving to me. And maybe an ICS might get a good deal on one and want to have everyone on Dexcom One; that doesn't feel impossible.

A couple of days ago Partha Kar sent this, reminding that everyone with Type 1 in England should now be able to get a CGM (Libre 2 or Dexcom One):

There are definitely cheaper CGMs than libre and dexcom, two of them but their names escape me right now. I have trialled both and wouldn’t use either. I prefer libre first and then dexcom one second, when comparing those two (mainly as it was a pain when the dexcom one transmitter unexpectedly failed, you can’t just stick a spare sensor on like with libre, you wouldn’t have a spare transmitter lying about).

two of them but their names escape me right now
GlucoMen Day (though that doesn't look like it's still sold in the UK) and the GlucoRx AiDEX which I think still is, and I think is still available for prescription alongside Libre 2 and Dexcom One though Partha Kar doesn't seem to mention it (suggesting that it might still be available but almost nobody cares).

There are definitely cheaper CGMs than libre and dexcom, two of them but their names escape me right now. I have trialled both and wouldn’t use either. I prefer libre first and then dexcom one second, when comparing those two (mainly as it was a pain when the dexcom one transmitter unexpectedly failed, you can’t just stick a spare sensor on like with libre, you wouldn’t have a spare transmitter lying about).
I mentioned on another topic regarding a G6 transmitter fail during a trial. (8 or 9 days in.) I pushed the transmitter part against the sensor cradle stuck to my arm & felt a tiny click. it started working. It must have come loose and broke continuity on the circuit?

I mentioned on another topic regarding a G6 transmitter fail during a trial. (8 or 9 days in.) I pushed the transmitter part against the sensor cradle stuck to my arm & felt a tiny click. it started working. It must have come loose and broke continuity on the circuit?
The one I had just had the battery randomly die early. They replaced it but you have to wait for that to be delivered, I like libre where when you’re on holiday you can pack a spare, put it on if one fails and just sort the replacement when you get home.

Last year when discussing libre with my DSN (when it was a no) she mentioned they were looking at the glucomen ones as an option to switch to which might make me eligible.
This year I got libre.
Kinda feel that idea must have got abandoned then :rofl:

It's meant to click into place, to remove sensor I use couple of guitar picks.

Last year when discussing libre with my DSN (when it was a no) she mentioned they were looking at the glucomen ones as an option to switch to which might make me eligible.
This year I got libre.
Kinda feel that idea must have got abandoned then :rofl:
Bumped into a T2 with a prescribed Libre at a social. She saw mine on display. I had a tee shirt she had a blouse. It was good to hook up with a T2 prescribed in the “wild.” We swapped notes she flashed her phone? Then I flashed mine.

In my experience. (As a T1.) The average DSN can get the facts wrong? A DSN has also been keen on a pump for me, “you should have one.” But the endo reckons otherwise.
Yes you are correct. I have guitar picks. But was contemplating my wife’s plucking thing? Or a spectacle repair screwdriver & just went for a push to complete a circuit. Before going on a “quest.”

As you can guess. I have no moans about my brief affair with Dexcom. Just, “one of those things.”
Probably “user error” on the initial “test drive.”

Bumped into a T2 with a prescribed Libre at a social. She saw mine on display. I had a tee shirt she had a blouse. It was good to hook up with a T2 prescribed in the “wild.” We swapped notes she flashed her phone? Then I flashed mine.

In my experience. (As a T1.) The average DSN can get the facts wrong? A DSN has also been keen on a pump for me, “you should have one.” But the endo reckons otherwise.
Yes you are correct. I have guitar picks. But was contemplating my wife’s plucking thing? Or a spectacle repair screwdriver & just went for a push to complete a circuit. Before going on a “quest.”

As you can guess. I have no moans about my brief affair with Dexcom. Just, “one of those things.”
Probably “user error” on the initial “test drive.”

Still using my first sensor, they say batteries can last up to 3 months, must be up to there by now or not far away.

You can use anything to dislodge sensor, picked up tip on net about using guitar picks, good little tip it was.

Still using my first sensor, they say batteries can last up to 3 months, must be up to there by now or not far away.

You can use anything to dislodge sensor, picked up tip on net about using guitar picks, good little tip it was.

Above should say transmitter not sensor, silly boy.

There are definitely cheaper CGMs than libre and dexcom, two of them but their names escape me right now.
The Medtrum CGM is cheaper than Libre if you self fund ... but it is not funded by my clinic.
I do not know if it is available to purchase by everyone or only those who have the Medtrum pump.

I find it as accurate as the Libre ... or more so because I can calibrate it.
But the main reason I use it is that it talks to my pump.

GlucoRx is the other that can be prescribed in the same way as Dex One and Libre 2 I believe. The blue columns are in the same funding bracket as insulin pumps and need funding contracts agreed directly between manufacturer/distributor and the local health authority.

1695328211486.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back