Posions and pills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
When it says on the back of a packet of pills please check with a doctor before you use if your diabetic and you dont check and go ahead and take is that a bad thing?

Thanks.

Some things clash with the diabetic medication and some has lots of sugar in it. If you are buying it in a chemist with a proper pharmacy (opposed to off the shelf in the supermarket) check with the pharmacists. If he or she can't help then see your doctor or give NHS Direct a call.

In some cases the stuff is OK and in some cases it is not, so it pays to seek advice.

Steff, you should always check with either the doctor, or the pharmacist before taking anything. I'd ask the pharmacist because he or she will probably know more than the doctor. It's a common problem in people who are on a range of different meds, some of them may not mix well with the others and that goes for over the counter things as well as prescribed ones. It's a lesson I've learned well over the years. Nowadays, I don't take anything without asking a lot of questions first, but even then you can have problems.

Sometimes the warning is there because the medicine can cause higher or lower blood sugar and you might need to modify your medication.

You also need to be careful about herbal remedies - these often have more powerful active ingredients than the more conventional drugs.

In my pharmacy shop course I was taught that anything with a decongestant in it could potentially cause a change in sugar levels as they work by expanding blood vessels. Or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back