PORCINE INSLIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

little fawn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am a user of Porcine Hypurin Neutral and Porcine Hypurin Isophane. I am 72 and have had diabetes since 12 years old. I have hypos nearly every night on my isophane nsulin.My consultant wants me to change to Levemir instead of Porcine Isophane to prevent these hypos during the night.
I'm not sure if you can take two different types of insulin,one porcine and the other synthetic. Has anyone else tried this? My consultant says Levemir has a flatter profile and doesn't peak the way my Porcine Isophane insulin does.
This is a very rare combination I believe.

Don't worry about whether you can use porcine with with another insulin that's synthetic, your body doesn't care either way. They aren't strictly synthetic, they are made by bacteria or yeasts that have been genetically modified to produce insulin. Unlike the pigs, they have to be alive when the insulin is produced.

Levemir is a good choice, but discuss with your consultant about split dosages. I use split doses, the morning dose of Levemir being being almost twice that of the evening dose. Everybody is different, of course, but for sure is easier to tweak than porcine isophane. Although I've been T1 for 26 years, I've never used porcine insulins, but I remember my mum making the switch for porcine to human analogues. Wasn't much bothered by the switch.

I am a user of Porcine Hypurin Neutral and Porcine Hypurin Isophane. I am 72 and have had diabetes since 12 years old. I have hypos nearly every night on my isophane nsulin.My consultant wants me to change to Levemir instead of Porcine Isophane to prevent these hypos during the night.
I'm not sure if you can take two different types of insulin,one porcine and the other synthetic. Has anyone else tried this? My consultant says Levemir has a flatter profile and doesn't peak the way my Porcine Isophane insulin does.
This is a very rare combination I believe.
Yes you can use both types, but can not mix in same syringe if that's what you are doing now.
Do you not split your Isophane in two doses and have your tried changing the timing of your insulin. Also make sure you have a bedtime snack/supper?

I spent about 20 years on a combination of Hypurin Bovine Lente and Humalog. No problems combining the the two. Only reason I changed the basal was because all bovine insulins were discontinued.

Hi @little fawn Do you take two doses of the isophane or just one? If the answer is one, splitting it into two separate doses (they don’t have to be equal) might help. I use isophane insulin when I have a break from my pump and take far less in the evening than in my morning dose. I rarely have hypos with that lower dose.

I found the profile of Levemir quite similar to the isophane but different insulins suit different people, and there’s no reason why you can’t have porcine insulin plus analogue insulin. The important thing is that it suits you and works for your blood sugar and your life in general.

Hello and welcome! My MO is similar to yours although I am a few years younger. Attempts to switch me to the newer insulins failed as I lose hypo recognition.

The question how often do you take your Isophane is critically important. I take it twice daily split 55%/45%. The overnight one has always been slightly tricky trying to avoid a hypo whilst waking with an in range BG. I am hoping that with the info other members have provided I may get set up for CGM in a few months which should help.

Also how many carbs per day are you on. Originally I was on 240 - 250gm per day but found I had to reduce this in my mid-fifties both for weight and diabetes control.

If you can post a few more details we might have some ideas. I do find a bedtime snack is essential.

Attempts to switch me to the newer insulins failed as I lose hypo recognition.

Yes that was the first thing I thought of as that was the Big News when I was diagnosed. Folks switching from animal insulins to human, and some of them completely losing their hypo awareness. I’m not sure what the proportion was, but I’d imagine the majority were fine with the switch. Still worth keeping a close eye on things during the switch though 🙂

Yes that was the first thing I thought of as that was the Big News when I was diagnosed. Folks switching from animal insulins to human, and some of them completely losing their hypo awareness. I’m not sure what the proportion was, but I’d imagine the majority were fine with the switch. Still worth keeping a close eye on things during the switch though 🙂
We had some deaths in this area but it was swept under the carpet. My consultant did not believe me as his view was that being closer to the humanoid version it would be better. Fortunately my GP did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back