Poor lung function in shorter people linked to increased risk of heart disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Results from a study led by researchers from Queen Mary University of London has found that an association between shorter stature and higher risk of heart disease is mainly attributed to our lungs.

In the study, published in the journal Communications Biology, researchers examined over 800 places in the human genome known to be associated with adult height and also evaluated data suggesting that lower height increases the risk of developing type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease.

The authors found no evidence of a causal link between height and type 2 diabetes risk once an individual's body mass index was taken into account but reported a causal relationship between height and heart disease risk.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190329130231.htm

No, they write that there is no causal link between height and type 2 diabetes when you’ve eliminated the BMI effect.

Just ran this past OH, who is short, and Northern. I said, I always felt really tall when we went round Preston market because everyone was shorter than me, so people in the north seem to be shorter on average than people in the south. He said, the water in Lancashire is soft, and that’s been associated with heart disease. Maybe more research needed?

Does that mean Short A---s keep off the tabs ? :D

Everyone should keep off the cancer sticks. In fact they should ban them completely.

Just ran this past OH, who is short, and Northern. I said, I always felt really tall when we went round Preston market because everyone was shorter than me, so people in the north seem to be shorter on average than people in the south. He said, the water in Lancashire is soft, and that’s been associated with heart disease. Maybe more research needed?
I think it's a generational thing too. I'm taller than my Dad's generation, but the generation younger than me appeared much taller! 😱 I know this for a fact because I had occasion to return to my old school about 5 years after leaving and all the little s*ds who were in the first year when I left now all towered above me! 😱 I'm 5' 9", is that short?

I'm 5' 9", is that short?

According to this the average is now 5' 10".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36888541

Population is definitely getting taller. My Mum (who is now 81) is quite tall for that era/age at 5' 9", my Dad was also 5' 9" but myself and my two brothers are all around 6' 1". My youngest daughter at 15 is around 5' 10" and still growing. My brother's eldest daughter is 14 and already 6' tall. 😱

Population is definitely getting taller. My Mum (who is now 81) is quite tall for that era/age at 5' 9", my Dad was also 5' 9" but myself and my two brothers are all around 6' 1". My youngest daughter at 15 is around 5' 10" and still growing. My brother's eldest daughter is 14 and already 6' tall. 😱
Oh dear, our family has been left in the stone age. Son and daughter are 5ft 5 and 5ft 1 respectively.:(

Interesting 🙂 My youngest niece is taller than me (just), but the rest of the family are all relatively short (sister, BIL, other niece)

One of the waiters at the restaurant today was as thin as a picking stick, and had to duck to get through doors. He had a local accent, so not everyone in the North is a shortarse with a debilitating heart problem. And speaking as a Northern shortarse, I haven’t got a heart problem either.

And I like soft water. My shaving soap forms a rich lather, and I don’t need to buy Calgon to make my washing machine and dishwasher stop forming stalagmites. It was the same on Mull, we used the stuff that fell from the sky, as did the distillery, who turned rain and barley into liquid gold.

And I like soft water. My shaving soap forms a rich lather, and I don’t need to buy Calgon to make my washing machine and dishwasher stop forming stalagmites. It was the same on Mull, we used the stuff that fell from the sky, as did the distillery, who turned rain and barley into liquid gold.
Since moving to Harrogate I have (re)discovered that you only need to wave the Fairy liquid bottle at the water and deposit homeopathic quantities to get a rich foam for doing the washing up 🙂 And I don't have industrial levels of limescale caking up my kettle every two days! 😱 🙂

Oh well as a short arsed 5ft nothing, it gives me something else to worry about, rather than who am I going to ask to get something off the top shelf in Tesco.

Oh well as a short arsed 5ft nothing, it gives me something else to worry about, rather than who am I going to ask to get something off the top shelf in Tesco.

My pet gripe that used to drive me mental was shoe shops putting large sizes at the bottom & the small sizes at the top: large sized feet belong to taller ladies & small sized feet to shorter ladies! I now buy my shoes online & get them delivered!😡😱🙄🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back