Poll - How many days supply of insulin do you have?

Do you "usually" try to maintain a minimum months supply of all your insulins?

• NO - Type 1 Diabetic on m.d.i - Less than a month

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • YES - Type 1 Diabetic on m.d.i - More than a month (as NHS guidance)

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • NO - Other Types / Insulin Users - Less than a month

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • YES - Other Types / Insulin Users - More than a month

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When I was looking for info the other day on sick day rules, I noticed that one recommendation was that for type 1 diabetics on m.d.i insulin it recommended at least 1 month supply in hand at all times. I guess it could also apply to all diabetics on insulin in terms of how many days supply you have at any given time. So feel free to vote whether m.d.i, pump or other type. All anonymous.

Last edited:
Interesting that I too only just spotted that post a couple of days ago and it made me think about my insulin stores as I usually just reorder when I am down to the last cartridge. A Levemir cartridge will last me about 10-11 days and a Fiasp cartridge about 20-30 days so whilst my routine with reordering would have meant that I probably had pretty much a month's worth of Fiasp in that last cartridge, I was letting the Levemir run too low by that recommendation. I did actually accidentally run out of Levemir on the last day of the August bank holiday weekend due to a bit of a mix up with my reordering so I am now being more focused on maintaining a little more stock in the fridge both as a result of that and then reading that thread recommendation. I wonder if it might be better to reorder when I open the last box of cartridges rather than the last cartridge. The only way I can see that it would be wasted would be if I "pegged out" and I am trying not to do that anytime soon!

When I was using Novorapid I reordered when I had 2 vials left, meaning I had a buffer of around 2 weeks. Since clinic transferred me to Lyumjev my GP has been a little unhelpful (not helped by lack of access) and only prescribes 3 vials at a time (and only once every 28 days) so haven't been able to build a buffer. Now have 6 to 8 days left when new prescription picked up. Given short use by date on current Lyumjev stocks probably best not to have a buffer....

I currently have about 20 days worth of Tresiba in the fridge although was ordered a week past Monday and ready to pick up 2 new boxes tomorrow, as for Novorapid I think I have around 16 cartridges in the fridge which will see me into some time next year probably, stock built up when I was getting it on serial at 10 cartridges every 2 months despite a couple of times of it not being included by request by me hence why I asked both my insulins go back on repeat xx

I am ticking Yes on the poll as that is now my policy, rather than "No less than a month" which is what I used to do

I only use Humalog insulin in my Pod Pump and have only reordered when I am part way through a vial and have one full vial more. Each vial will last 3 to 4 weeks which has always been more than enough time for P2U to deliver to me my order.

Unless this is a recent anti Brexit worry that the Insulin lorry is going to get stuck at a port I fail to see the need for me to change because I do have 1 months supply in reserve.

Surely all of us don't allow ourselves to run out or if we have done we change our order schedule going forward.

Surely all of us don't allow ourselves to run out or if we have done we change our order schedule going forward.

I think the reasoning is that if you get Covid you will probably need significantly bigger doses and therefore get through it quicker and also possibly not be able to access more due to isolating.

I see your point and that's why I get my medicines delivered by Pharmacy2U, I don't leave the house it arrives.

Has it actually been established that you will need more insulin if you get Covid19 ?
At my worse point of just about to reorder and I went down with Covid19 I would still have 1 months supply at normal usage so would be able to increase it if required.

I agree it is important to feel secure and to be honest I think I have been holding about 1 months supply so will have no need to change anything.

It seems the Poll is showing 80% hold one months supply as well.

When first diagnosed had awful time getting prescription for insulin, back then had to make appointment with Dr to get one, crazy looking back now.

Now wait till last 2 vials then order repeat, in fridge now have 5 vials 1 box of cartridges.

I think this thread is a really good way of highlighting the issue so that more people consider it.

I order usually when down to one cartridge in fridge and one in use. Only use between 11 and 14 units of tresiba per day but 14-20 units novorapid.
I would second any advice not to leave it too late as at least locally there seems to be a bit of a pharmacy crisis. In my village pharmacies often closed for the day- staffing problems- whether due to needing to isolate, stress dealing with irate people or other general problems with recruitment- better employment offers elsewhere- plus perhaps more delay in orders coming in- whether because of HGV driver crisis, or other reason..

Yes @Amity Island P2U is free and there are others too Boots, Lloyds to name two.

Whilst using prefilled cartridges and I always had 2 boxes of both Levemir and Novorapid on 'repeat' so would order a prescription for either asap after I opened the second box of either - hardly ever needing a scrip for both at the same time.

I only get one box of each on repeat.

One thing that has changed over the years, and affected my answer, is the amount of time taken to obtain an insulin prescription. The dispensing chemist in charge at my local pharmacy tells me I really need to order a month in advance. Their two suppliers (same for both chemists in the small town) operate a quota system and, if they go over quota for the month, they have to wait for it until the next month. My longest wait within the last two years has been two months and ten days, at a time when Novo assured me there was no shortage. 25 years ago, it was sometimes there the day after the prescription was issued, and never took more than three days.

You can’t just change your order schedule though. The prescription system doesn’t let you reorder early, so how much extra supply you have depends how much your doses are in relation to the time set up on the prescription system. I reorder when I’m running low and when it lets me reorder, usually get down to being almost out (as in no spare left of whichever type only the in use cartridge) before I reorder.

You can’t just change your order schedule though. The prescription system doesn’t let you reorder early, so how much extra supply you have depends how much your doses are in relation to the time set up on the prescription system. I reorder when I’m running low and when it lets me reorder, usually get down to being almost out (as in no spare left of whichever type only the in use cartridge) before I reorder.
You might be able to change how much you get each time though. A few years ago my daughter’s insulin needs nearly doubled, probably due to puberty, and the 2 vials at a time we were getting no longer lasted a month. After much discussion I managed to get the repeat increased to 4 each time, which is actually a bit much now but has enabled me to build up a buffer stock and mostly I only need to order every 6 weeks which saves all of us some time.

I get anxious when my spreadsheet predicts I'll have 2 or fewer vials left at my next order. I normally order (Novarapid & Levemir) evey 8 weeks as my pills are on an 8-week cycle.
Adjust if spreadsheet says enough (think most I've had is 9 vials) or order extra, especially around Christmas, other events or unwell, before hospital stay (but under-estimated units so needed extra from hospital).
And treat needles in the same way - no needles, no insulin.

Hi Lucyr and @Benny G

This is the same for me. Online prescriptions record your last order date and won't allow placing another order until that date is reached. This is why I left a note the other day on the online ordering for the doctor to bring forward my Tresiba to allow me to have a months supply in hand "as per NHS guidance" I wrote 🙂.

Order online myself, does have date last requested on meds but can order early, within reason of course, maybe different systems being used for different sugeries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back