Podiatry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Went off today for my first podiatry assessment. It's at a clinic based in a local GP practice but run by the PCT. Definitely impressed by the service - a very pleasant, very competent and very young lady podiatrist did the testing (it's like policemen - they get younger every day - and I guess I must be seriously middle aged now to say that). She took a detailed diabetic history and also took the time to explain everything to me in detail.

First the good news. My pulses are fine - and biphasic (which is good she said - means the blood vessels are expanding and contracting properly and not significantly hardened). The monofilament tests were also OK - that's the one where they stick your feet with a needle and ask you to say when you feel it (with your eyes closed of course).

The not so good news is that I did badly on the vibrating tuning fork on your big toes tests. A score of 8 and above is normal and I scored 5 on my left and 4 on my right, which indicates some neuropathy is present. It's not reversible but maintainable at that level with good BG control. Does anyone know anything about the diagnostic scale they use (it looks like a 0 to 10 scale)? I've Googled but can't find much in the way of detail.

I got lots of good advice about foot care and in particular wound management for when I get cuts on my feet. As a diabetic, she said I can self-refer to the podiatry service if I pick up any sort of foot injury without having to go through my GP - I simply call them up and get an appointment directly.

Sounds similar to my experience Cliff, good to hear that you've found some good, knowledgeable care. Don't know anything about that tuning fork scale, or what my own particular score was although they did say I had no problems. My feet do get VERY cold though for the first hour or so after I go to bed but warm up eventually. I think they were like that before I was diagnosed though, so maybe I just notice it more now.

Glad you got such brilliant care, long may it last...

Doesn't it make a big difference when you get good, knowledgeable care and the medical bods take time to explain things?

Why can't it always be like that? It should be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back