Podiatry appointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flower

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had an NHS podiatry appointment yesterday after trying to get one for 12 months 🙂

It was an excellent appointment. The podiatrist couldn't believe I hadn't been seen for a year despite all my various efforts to get an appointment and was so thorough checking my feet, circulation and sensation.

I came out with two wounds treated I didn't know I had - such is the horror of neuropathy and lack of sensation. I've got a follow up appointmeent in 4 weeks- an actual date and time- to try and make an adaptation for my poor old toes that got broken and dislocated by Charcot foot. They don't straighten at all & are curled under my foot like a clenched fist, my toes and nails get really sore and damaged due to all the pressure put through them but I can't see my nails to check for damage as they're hidden under my foot.

I'm so utterly relieved to be seen at the right clinic when my alternative is a below knee amputation that I want to avoid at all costs.
It is really hard to keep ringing & emailing to try to get an appointment but I some how managed to get seen.

Diabetes and complications fill up so much of my head but for now I feel like a weight has been lifted. Phew!

So relieved that you have eventually got an appointment and treatment but also that you have a follow up appointment in 4 weeks and hopefully you will get another after that, now that you have (dare I say it) your foot in the door. 😱
I am so sorry to hear that your foot has become so deformed but I really hope they can fashion something to make walking more comfortable and less strain on tissue and joints.
Well done for persevering and eventually getting that appointment when you must have been so frustrated and worried. I hope this and your new pump will start to make life a little less difficult for you.

So relieved that you have eventually got an appointment and treatment but also that you have a follow up appointment in 4 weeks and hopefully you will get another after that, now that you have (dare I say it) your foot in the door. 😱
I am so sorry to hear that your foot has become so deformed but I really hope they can fashion something to make walking more comfortable and less strain on tissue and joints.
Well done for persevering and eventually getting that appointment when you must have been so frustrated and worried. I hope this and your new pump will start to make life a little less difficult for you.
Thanks @rebrascora

I do feel so relieved to have had some proper help with my feet, it's the first time anyone has suggested trying to help my deformed foot to be less vulnerable and maybe more comfortable. Previously all I've had from orthopaedics is to have an amputation which completely terrifies me.

I am hoping that now I'm in a clinic I might be able to stop the private podiatry appointments but I'll see how things go next visit.

Love my new pump it is an amazing piece of tech but sad I can't undo all the damage from previous years!

Flower, I think your determination and fortitude is absolutely amazing and inspiring!

Not even you can turn the clock back though, so no use hankering after it, but at least things seem to be turning a corner for you a bit now and fingers crossed this extra support will enable you to manage with less effort and discomfort and worry and that has to be a bonus. Sending (((HUGS)))

Hey ,I have total empathy. My pain is in my toes. I was sent back to GP after Pain Management could not do anymore. My GP said to me yesterday, that they cannot prescribe me anymore pain management remedies. I am 58 and just don't know what I can do. I did post a thread on here a few months ago. It's a horrible ailment and just no light at the end of a very long dark tunnel. So yeah hang in there.

Just massive virtual hugs to both of you - foot pain is so debilitating physically and mentally.

@Flower - hoo blooming rah mate!

At last! So glad the appointment went well and you’re in the system again. The mind boggles as to how long you’ve been shut out of the system, with your obvious and very specific needs - it’s disgraceful. 😡

Perhaps lifting up the heel and arch of your foot would take pressure off your toes and in particular the nails. I am thinking of layers of foam stabilised with innersoles, the front part cut away, to cushion your feet and lift them so that your toes don't actually come into contact with the ground.
When my feet were really painful I just kept adding layers of foam until it was simply agony rather than the tortures of Hell with the sensation of molten lava, and that enable me to function until it subsided. I have some sandals with three velcro straps so could accommodate the extra size. It certainly looked sad - but it did the job.

Perhaps lifting up the heel and arch of your foot would take pressure off your toes and in particular the nails. I am thinking of layers of foam stabilised with innersoles, the front part cut away, to cushion your feet and lift them so that your toes don't actually come into contact with the ground.
Thanks @Drummer sadly I have a bit of an issue with my foot.

I don’t have an arch as it’s collapsed- it’s called a rocker bottom arch from Charcot foot. Instead of going up my arch has collapsed down & is the first thing in contact with the ground. I also don’t have an ankle joint again from Charcot foot so I have metalwork attaching my leg to my foot with no flex or movement. I’m in a cast, my foot doesn’t change position but I put pressure through all the wrong areas & get blisters & ulcers.

It’s incredibly vulnerable to skin & bone break down. I’d love to have my heel & toes lifted up into a new position to help my squashed toes, that sounds lovely but sadly it’s not an option.

I’m in awe of people with functioning ankles & feet! I love watching athletics & gymnastics with ankles that do the right thing 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back