Pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

DianeS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just out of hospital this week with Pneumonia. I went in with BS readings of 20 (never ever before been that high) - readings in hospital though higher than usual, were slowly coming down. I've just finished the antibiotics, and my readings are slowly creeping up again. I'm not on any Diabetic medication, and up to now, have controlled it really well with diet alone.

Do you think it's the infection that's making my readings erratic. Today, 4 hours post breakfast it's 12. I'm off for blood tests again on Monday, and hoping I can get to see a GP this coming week.

The other question I have, is (and I"ve not experienced this before) - can high BS make you feel hot and clammy?

Thank you

I suffer alot with severe lung infections & pneumonia (although last bout of pneumonia was few yrs back) & my sugars always go erratic. Once my infection comes undercontrol, they do come down to my numbers.
I generally up my insulin (but do become insulin resistant during a bad flare up)& really lay off the carbs.
Ps, sugar is loved by bacteria so cutting that out if you do use will help.
And antibiotics especially Ciprofloxacin or IV antibiotics can mess sugars up, as can steroids.
Hope you start to feel better soon. Pneumonia is horrible.

i agree Pneumonia is horrible and I wish you better.
You can have a clsmmy ferling with high or los Bs but infection itself can cause that too.
So its all monitors to check your temp as well as blood sugar. Ad well if your too hot cold inside . Pnemonia is best kept at same temp as leaving to s cold room will set of cold .
i remember steam helping me a lot .
Take care and wish you better.

You can have a clsmmy ferling with high or los Bs but infection itself can cause that too.
So its all monitors to check your temp as well as blood sugar. Ad well if your too hot cold inside . Pnemonia is best kept at same temp as leaving to s cold room will set of cold .
Steam - that's a really good idea.........

I suffer alot with severe lung infections & pneumonia (although last bout of pneumonia was few yrs back) & my sugars always go erratic. Once my infection comes undercontrol, they do come down to my numbers.
I generally up my insulin (but do become insulin resistant during a bad flare up)& really lay off the carbs.
Ps, sugar is loved by bacteria so cutting that out if you do use will help.
And antibiotics especially Ciprofloxacin or IV antibiotics can mess sugars up, as can steroids.
Hope you start to feel better soon. Pneumonia is horrible.
I shall cut the carbs for sure - I think I'd got used to what I could eat, and on discharge went back to how I was eating before. Obviously my diet needs tweaking some more going forward. Thank you for that sensible advice.... 🙂

I think for me the hallucinations were the worst. And the shivering. My temp went to 41 & i was hypoxic And don't mention the aches lol
Sounds like your improving but remember, your body can take a few weeks to get over. So if your fatigued or has lung pain, make sure you rest & take painkillers.

Ps, breathing exercises really help. I take in a deep breath, hold then breath out. So breathe in on count of 4 or whatever you can, hold for 4 then try & breathe out slowly for 6. It helps shift the infected mucus.
Sorry if i sound a know it all. Just having cystic fibrosis, I'm kinda used to infected lungs.

I think for me the hallucinations were the worst. And the shivering. My temp went to 41 & i was hypoxic And don't mention the aches lol
Sounds like your improving but remember, your body can take a few weeks to get over. So if your fatigued or has lung pain, make sure you rest & take painkillers.
I have no idea what my temperature was - all I can remember is being covered in sweat, like someone had poured a bucket of water over me.... I became dehydrated really quickly. Still drinking lots of water to compensate.......

Ps, breathing exercises really help. I take in a deep breath, hold then breath out. So breathe in on count of 4 or whatever you can, hold for 4 then try & breathe out slowly for 6. It helps shift the infected mucus.
Sorry if i sound a know it all. Just having cystic fibrosis, I'm kinda used to infected lungs.
What do you think of steam inhalers... could they be any help?

I agree with the boiling water & jug with a towel over your head & inhale. Be careful not to burn yourself. I do this often to break up the mucus esp post nasal drip that causes coughing.
But if you want to buy a steam inhaler they are as good.

i am also an olbus oil fan, others might not like but it only takes a drop . Wish you better.

i am also an olbus oil fan, others might not like but it only takes a drop . Wish you better.
Sending hubby for Olbus oil today I think.......

I'm so glad I asked on here - lots of good suggestions..... much appreciated.

Sending hubby for Olbus oil today I think.......
Defintely
don't use much its very strong but it was my mothers comfort .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back